Good idea or bad idea to buy a car with 150,000 miles or more ?

I found a local car dealer that finances bad credit I looked atbtheir inventory online and they have a lot of nice looking cars but they all have around 150,000 miles on them , should that be a cause for concern? The cars average 10-15 years old 

I avoid it like the plague.  While many modern cars can easily go 150K+ and still be in perfect functioning order, it is almost entirely dependent on how they are driven and maintained.

If you look at the relative prices, a lot of used car dealers (and individuals) are asking astronomically more than what the cars are worth - to the point that simply buying a new car starts to become a better deal - especially when dealers are desperate to move product off their lots.

Years ago I would suggest people avoid buying new cars, because they tend to depreciate quickly, but if you are planning on keeping it for a while, then this is not really an issue.  You eliminate any questions about how previous owners drove/cared for the vehicle, but even new cars can have issues.

They should be covered by the dealer and/or warranty - but sometimes you have to  put your foot on their neck and force them to acknowledge and/or fix the problems - permanently.

Vic, I've gotten 385,000 miles on a four cylinder. But, I had maintenance done often & never went over the recommended time in the manual.  Ask for maintenance records. If none & you still want the car, do a carfax. That will tell you of any insurance claims. Then use a refrig magnet, walk around the car & touch the fenders, doors, etc. If it doesn't stick, it has bondo. Next, is the car clean, inside & out. Seats like new. Clean floor mats. Is the motor clean, fluids clean & at the  right level. An honest dealer won't mind. A dishonest dealer will get mad. Then, you walk.

Financing a car with 150K miles on it isn't a great idea.  Financing that car when you've got bad credit and will pay a crazy high interest rate is an even worse idea.  You'd almost certainly be better off financially buying ANY running car outright from a private seller (even if all you can afford is a ~$1000 beater) than to finance a 10-15 year old car with a dealer who finances buyers with bad credit.  Good luck.

My personal rule is I never buy a used car with more than 50,000 miles on it.

RED FLAG. Very bad idea.

"I found a local car dealer that finances bad credit "  

FAIL. Yu are going to pay way too much in interest and financing charges for a car that just isn't worth the money. What's going to happen is that you will immediately owe a lot more than the car is worth, you're eventually going to start having problems with it [high mileage] that you can't  afford to fix, and you won't be able to sell it and get out of the loan because you won't have enough cash to buy your way out. DON'T DO IT. Either buy a car for cash that you can afford, or don't buy a car at all until you can fix your credit and build up some savings. 

• Scott

Bad idea. It may last another 100,000 miles or it may last 5,000. No way to know.

If the car has been treated well and well maintained, the mileage is nothing.   If it has been abused and not maintained, you might be buying a pile of problems.   

I wouldn't buy it for the inflated price a car dealership is going to sell it for.

But a single owner well maintained car, I'd consider it depending on the situation.

Modern cars, especially Japanese cars, will last a lot longer than 150,000 miles.  But it depends on how well they've been treated by previous owners.  I hear more and more these days that before buying a car you should bring it to a mechanic you trust and give him $100 to look it over.  I think that's a good idea, considering the expensive problems that might be involved.

A car that old and with that many miles can only or should only be around 3,000 dollars tops