Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

What’s your opinion about the cult known as The Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Update:

Hands down the best answer goes to Rebmilc. No need to search for anything more.

30 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The JW BJ. Gives an 8-point answer and I would like to look at those points one by one.

(1) They will call you crazy: Wrong BJ, we don’t call you crazy we call you deluded.

(2) They will gossip about you: Kingdom halls are hotbeds of Gossip and you know it. But to be quite honest I have got better things to do with my time than to fill it up gossiping about JW’s.

(3) They will say you’re in a cult: That is because you are members of a man-made multi, billion-dollar publishing organization that controls every aspect of your lives, even to what you should wear. You are enslaved by the concept that it is God’s organization. The problem with that is such an organization is found nowhere in the Bible.

(4) They will despise you: Bit rich that. The watchtower society has taken hatred to a whole new level. Anyone who no longer accepts your teachings are labelled ‘Apostate’.

See:

“Persons who deliberately spread (stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are APOSTATES.” (Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock p.94)

Notice the part about “teachings CONTRARY to Bible truth AS TAUGHT by Jehovah's Witnesses”.

So, what is their organization’s advice about such people, how should the JW react to them?

Let’s see what advice the JW leadership gives to the rank and file JW’s.

"The obligation to hate lawlessness also applies to all activity by apostates. Our attitude toward apostates should be that of David, who declared: "Do I not hate those who are INTENSLY HATING you".

(WT 1992 July 15 pp 12-13).

Or

"True Christians share Jehovah's feelings toward such apostates; they are not curious about apostate ideas. On the contrary, they "FEEL A LOATHING" toward those who have made themselves God's enemies, but they leave it to Jehovah to execute vengeance."

(WT 1993 November 1st p.19).

or

Apostates are ‘MENTALLY DISEASED’ (WT 2011 July 15th P.11).

Or

“in order to hate what is bad a Christian MUST HATE THE PERSON with whom the badness is inseparably linked”. (Watchtower 1961 July 15 p.420).

I don’t really think you can lecture us on the term despising BJ.

(5) They will say you're taking it to far: So, to shun someone, cutting them off from their social network and destroying families in the process, even to the point of driving people to suicide while at the same time calling this Christian love isn’t taking it to far then?

Condemning people to death through a totally unbiblical teaching on refusing Blood transfusions. Isn’t taking it to far then? Wake up

(6) They will say you're taking the Bible out of context: That’s because you are! in many places, Out off the 31,102 verses in the Bible, your organization zero’s in on single verses taken totally out of context on which to build your doctrines.

(7) But what they won't do, is prove you wrong: You mean like in the cases of failed prophecy, where your organization has falsely predicted the end of the world 20 times and all FAILED. So you weren’t wrong then?

(8) Men lie, woman lie, but scriptures don't lie: But is it not true that

Jehovah's Witnesses are told that they are in "theocratic warfare" or "spiritual warfare" with the world. This warfare includes the strategy that being misleading, or even lying, is acceptable in situations where such dishonesty furthers the organisation's interests.

"Of course, being truthful does not mean that we are obligated to divulge all information to anyone who asks it of us. Do not give what is holy to dogs, neither throw your pearls before swine”. (Awake! 2000 Feb 8 p.21).

• 1 month ago

They are NOT a cult. I don't defend very many things that I have no reason to defend... but when I do with no interest other than adhereing to fact... it is... in fact... a fact. 

• 1 month ago

No different from any other religion seeing as they are ALL cults.  And most of them are death cults.  They just can't wait for this life to be over with so they can pander about in some made up fantasy dream existence forever.  It's all BS just the same.

• 1 month ago

One of the most prominent marks of J Ws is their incredible dishonesty.

Though there be many one very serious one is their claims about the New World Translation of the Bible which is not a translation at all but a re vamp to suit their heretical teachings.

Those on the translating committee did not and do not understand the original languages, so it is impossible for it to be a tanslation.

Yes really. Research it.

That it is accurate is just advertisng puff, the reality is it is very poor indeed, simply because it is a re working of other translations.

The dishonesty is criminal. In other areas of life such as trade or business they would be prosecuted but because it is religion they are left alone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Just shows how far from truth you can end up, once you reject the Church Jesus Christ founded, to which He promised the fullness of God's truth.

• 1 month ago

I tried to keep an open mind about them and listened and watched.Out of curiosity I went to their Kingdom Hall and found to my surprise that everyone was friendly,honest,and upstanding. No,there was no trickery,just regular people who prefer the company of other pleasant people,sharing a common interest in learning about the bible.I'm now convinced that they are the good guys in this awful world.

• 1 month ago

The JW's were founded in the late 1870s by Charles Taze Russell, who didn't like the teaching of the church.

They believe that all true Christian churches are of the devil.

They believe Jesus is not God, but is the Archangel Michael – the first being created by God.

They deny that God is a Trinity.

They believe Jesus died on a stake, rather than a cross.

They deny that Jesus rose bodily from the dead.

They believe that only 144,000 Jehovah’s Witnesses will go to heaven. The rest will live forever in a paradise on Earth, never meeting the person who died for them – Jesus Christ.

They believe that salvation is impossible outside of the Watchtower.

They are not allowed to question the Watchtower leadership or teaching.

They claim you need to read the Watchtower’s magazines and other material in order to understand the Bible correctly. If you don’t read the Watchtower’s books, you will “fall into darkness” – what they call reverting to normal Christianity.

They have falsely predicted the end of the world five times. (false prophets)

They have just changed a major Watchtower prediction that the end of the world would come before the generation of Witnesses born before 1914 died.

They use their own special translation of the Bible which mis-translates the original texts.

They are well known to disown, shun, and ignore any friends and family leaving the cult.

They discourage tertiary education.They are not allowed to be in the army or wear crosses.They are not allowed to celebrate birthdays.They are not allowed to celebrate Christmas – the date we celebrate the birthday of Jesus Christ.

If that doesn't describe a cult, then I do not know what a cult is.

• 1 month ago

A JW here claims of those who say JWs are a cult: "But what they won't do, is prove you wrong." Well, not for lack of trying, banging their heads against the brick wall of JWism. All the JWs on here have their fingers stuck in their spiritual ears, their blinkers on, and shouting La-la-la-la-la as others try to reason with them from the Bible. And that's a sure sign of a cult!

It's impossible to have a rational discussion with JWs (or others in other cults) because they don't want to even consider the possibility that their leaders might be wrong in their teachings. They are only here to try to convert others to their teachings. They think their eventual salvation depends on obeying and believing their tiny group of leaders, never to question them, and that if they don't do as much preaching of their corrupted gospel as possible then they will die when Armageddon starts (any day now).

Anyway, Rebmilc's answer is the perfect answer to your question. But - guess what? Not a single JW on here will read it through and think about those 8-point responses to a JWs 8 points. But Christians on here who are deeply concerned for the lost state of JWs and other cultists pray for them. Hundreds of thousands of JWs have been leaving the group recently - we pray that the Holy Spirit will lead them to the Christ of the Bible, not the christ of the Watchtower Society.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

JW is a non-Christian cult that denies fundamental Bible doctrines such as the deity of Christ, the Trinity, salvation by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, bodily resurrection, and eternal torment in the lake of fire for unbelievers. There is nothing remotely "Christian" about JW.

The truth is that death leads to heaven or hell, and the only way to heaven is through faith in Jesus Christ.

The Bible is very clear that no one can earn their way to heaven since good works do not pay for sins. See Gal. 2:16, Rom. 3:23-28, 4:4-5, Eph. 2:8-9, Tit. 3:5. The only way to heaven is by believing in Jesus for His free gift of eternal life. Jesus shed His blood on the cross as the full payment for our sins. He did all the work; all He requires of us is that we believe in Him. Once you believe in Jesus Christ to save you, you are secure forever!

Because we have all sinned against a perfectly holy and righteous God, we all deserve eternal separation from God in hell (Rom. 6:23). However, God loves us so much that He sent His only Son Jesus to die on the cross as our Substitute so we don't have to go to hell. Christ died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the grave three days later (1 Cor. 15:3-4). He gives eternal life freely to anyone who simply believes in Him for it. No one can be saved by doing good works. Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone (Eph. 2:8-9).

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life" (John 6:47).

• 1 month ago

There are over 300 translations (I'm not referring to languages here), of the Bible and the one thing that they have in common is that they are all different, yet the one that is most talked about is the J/W's translation. That suggests to me that they must be on to something.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They will call you crazy.

They will gossip about you.

They will say you're in a cult.

They will despise you.

They will say you're taking it to far.

They will say you're taking the Bible out of context.

But what they won't do, is prove you wrong.

Men lie, woman lie, but scriptures don't lie.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.