What’s a weird thing you’ve seen in a different state that isn’t a thing in your state?

I’ve probably seen a lot of weird things, but one thing that was definitely different for me was the liquor situation. Texas allows you to buy liquor until 9:00 and you can only get it from a liquor store. I visited some family in Missouri one time and was surprised to find all kinds of liquor at the local grocery store. I’m used to seeing only beer, wine, and malt beverages, so it was weird to see liquor at a regular grocery store. And they sell a lot later than Texas. What’s something you’ve seen that was different from your state?

Favorite Answer

There was a bar near Pittsburgh Pa, just outside the gate of a steel mill, and it was appropriately named The Mill Gate. I stopped in after work one day to meet a friend, and there wasn't a chair or stool anywhere in the entire place. It wasn't meant to be a place to sit around and relax. Most guys would come in from the mill, order a beer, have 2 or 3 shots with their beer and leave. I never saw anything like that anywhere else?

• D50

You can only buy 190 proof alcohol in a few states. Most of them limit booze to 151 proof. As if you can't poison yourself satisfactorily with 80 proof booze.

Come to New Orleans.  Liquor is sold EVERYWHERE.  You can buy it 24/7/365 and we even have DRIVE-THRU bars.  That's right folks, you can either go into the bar and drink or you can go to the drive-thru and get it for takeout.   I don't drink, but one can certainly get liquor here anytime.

FIVE BELOW. Store is absolutely FIRE. I also went to Arizona and I experienced all kinds of storms, and there was a bug in the Air BnB. tons of scorpions but also this huge fly the size of a mouse. I cried until morning, I think I was 12?

• ?

Not really a weird thing to the people in those states. But I saw a twister curl up around itself and die in Alabama. But then the offspring of that happened as water spouts. Three of them. It was so weirdly cool and nobody got hurt or displaced.

Once saw pink lightning strikes while driving in Texas zj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

I saw a store in Missouri advertising liquor, martial arts supplies, and fireworks. 

I think I'm going to move there when I retire.

• Ontario has some truly awful laws on beer/wine/spirits purchases.

Everything's "rude" in the West, where in fact, everything is rude in NY. 

In NY you simply have to bob and weave, in the words of street photographer Joel Meyerowitz, to get around the city on foot. Everyone ends up looking like quarterbacks doing ballet just going to the bus stop. In the West, people will ironically scream and cuss if you invade their bubble of 7ft (before covid) even when you're working 17 deep in a kitchen with 4 stations. The joke was I can identify all my coworkers by smell. 

The funny part is, if you're pretty, every jerkoff will stare you down and insist on talking at you. It's a coconuts vs peaches thing. Google it. 

• kswck2

Liquor authorities are all over the place. In South Carolina for example, if you buy a drink in a bar, you are served with an Airline bottle. Larger bottles are only available in liquor stores, and you can buy beer in a grocery store. And a restaurant could not serve  Any kind of alcohol on Sunday-Unless you had a Special Permit. In Massachusetts, beer, wine and hard liquor are available only in ABC stores. In Pennsylvania, you can only buy Cold beer in a bar. Full cases are only served warm in an ABC store. Until recently, in New York State, liquor and wine is sold only in a liquor store, and must be closed One day per week-Sunday-Unless you were owned by Jews, then it could be closed Saturday, instead of Sunday.  In Virginia, beer and wine are sold in grocery stores, but there are no Bars, they have to serve a full meal as well(Think TGI Fridays).