Miranda asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Is it normal for your cat to be in pain an not want held after there shots?

my cats went to have their vaccinations today. My cats let me take them out of their carriers to put them in there beds just fine no problems. though when it got later into the night they no longer wanted held an cried if I tried to pick them up. I just want to know if they will be ok? 

• Rita
    1 week ago

This is considered quite normal. You may notice that they have lost their appetite and just want to lie around and rest. Some animals may resent being handled and maybe sore or tender at the injection site. This is not dissimilar to what we experience with human vaccinations.

• Maxi

Many cats take 'offense' at having to go to the vets especially if they have to have some treatment...vaccinations can make them feel 'out of sorts' for a day or two........ my advice is wait 24 hours and let them sleep, if they are behaving the same after the 24 hours, phone your vet and ask advice

• PR

Although Kerri is probably right, it probably wouldn't hurt to call the vet - since it is the weekend and shortened hours. If not open, don't be afraid to call the after-hours line to ask, if getting worse. Otherwise, see how things go. You can also look up: " What to expect after cat vaccines".

• Kerri

Vaccines, given to animals or people, can cause the pet or person who gets them to feel a bit unwell in the days after vaccine. The vaccines can cause general muscle pain in the area of jab as well as causing overseeing body Schumer’s, fatigue and discomfort. These are completely normal reaction that will lessen in severity with rest in the 3/4 days after the vaccine. Continue to offer words of comfort, access to clean cool water and favorite food or treat, a soft blanket or towel to lie on or to put on top of their regular pet bed, head strokes and gentle touches while also avoiding unnecessary handling of or attempts to hold or pick your pet up. Unless your pet seems to be getting more distressed, stops stung drinking and general decline over 3/4 days instead of seeing improvement, then try not to worry as they will likely d just fine and be back to their old selves within a week.