Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleOther - Beauty & Style · 1 month ago

Is it a surprise when someone is natural in looks? I went for beautician appointment shewas verysurprised and commented you are very natural?

fyi, I don't see it as compliment but rather a comment.

Favorite Answer

People take the people they associate with as their baseline.  I mostly work outdoors and most of my friends are outdoorsy in their work and/or hobbies.  Few of us wear makeup everyday, do anything fancy with our hair or get botox and stuff like that.  It's just not a part of our grooming culture.  They look "normal" to me.  Now to take it to the other extreme one of my cousins is a "beauty technician" or some such.  (She's actually quite successful, runs a chain that does fillers, botox, make up tattoos and stuff like that.)  Most of her clients work in the adult entertainment industry and they have a completely different grooming culture/aesthetic that's at the opposite end to mine. My cousin looks like her clients because she likes that look and her clients wouldn't trust anyone who didn't share the same aesthetic.  It is very rare for her to see a "natural" adult woman in her social circle.  She always says that it's interesting to see me because I'm like what she would have looked like if she'd done nothing to herself and it "isn't so bad."  From her it's just an observation and I get it.  We looked very similar as children and have the same underlying bone structure, but she could never go backwards.  A lot of those treatments change your face forever, even botox which ages you faster once it wears off so you have to keep doing it.  A beautician will regularly see other women who see beauticians.

I don't think it's a surprise. She was just making an observation, and probably trying to accommodate you.

Or maybe she likes to put lots of make-up on, and was just noticing the contrast.  

She probably meant you looked boring with no makeup.

• Barry

Well she wasn't going to say what a mess you are was she? Customers like to be flattered and complimented. You were just included with the horde.