How do you boil potatoes for mashed potatoes?

Update:

How do you boil potatoes for mashed potatoes? What is the process?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Some good answers here (except for the stupid insulting ones). I’ll just add that you can use beef broth or chicken broth for more flavor.

• 1 month ago

cut the potato into 4 pieces for boling 

• 1 month ago

I slice the into about 1/2 inch rounds.  They cook more evenly if they are all 1/2 inch rather than odd shaped cubes or chunks. 

Cook, not at a boil just until the potatoes are fork tender. 

I use a combination of waxy and starchy Or I use the "Gold" potatoes And I leave the skin on about 1/4 of them 

• 1 month ago

If you need instructions on how to Boil potatoes, I suggest you NEVER go into a kitchen again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

A thin disguise Sybil.............

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I peel them then cut them into about 1 inch sized cubes, put all of the potatoes into a pot cold water and then bring them up to a gentle boil. They're done when they can easily be pierced with a fork. Should take around 15 minutes or so. Drain off the water and then mash, and add milk, butter, salt, and pepper.

• 1 month ago

Peal them, put them in a pot of salted water and cook them until they are soft. 

• geezer
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Peel the potatoes.

Cut them up into small pieces .. the smaller the better (easier to mash)

Put into a pan of water

Bring up to the boil.

Boil until the pieces of potato are soft

Drain the water away

Mash the potatoes .. adding some butter or cream .. and season to taste.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you need instructions on how to Boil potatoes, I suggest you NEVER go into a kitchen again. Matter of fact, just have it taken out of your house or turn it into a man cave. 

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Pick out your potatoes based on serving size, peel them, cut them into cubes, boil water, add the potatoes, check them often, when they are soft and break apart when you stick a fork in them they're done, strain them, rinse with hot water if you wish to remove any starch, add 1-2 tablespoons of margarine and 1 cup of milk (depending on the amount of potatoes you're making), mash them and mix them up until all the cubes are gone, add more milk if you desire them to be more creamy, serve. That's how I do it, anyways. Some people also like to leave the skin on, in which case you would just scrub wash them before cutting, but that's also up to you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.