Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Can I sue my DMV for age and health discrimination?

I'm 79, I have been driving since 1957. I am far more responsible and safer compared to a teen, why is it we have to re-take these medical certification tests and road tests often? These crazy millennials are the ones that need to be re-tested.

No.  Those crazy millennials are subject to the same rules, medical certifications and road tests that you are.

You have no case 

I think you are the "can I sue" troll venturing into another subject

The older you get, the more at risk you are for health issues and other things that may impair your driving. 

Yes, you can sue anyone for anything. In your case you would be wasting your time, depending upon how you proceed, since the DMV is merely implementing a law. You could, in theory, sue the state for implementing an unconstitutional infringement of your civil rights, but you'd have a hard time FINDING any such right in the first place. 

Having a driver's license, or otherwise operating a vehicle on a public way is a privilege, not a right, and only granted if you qualify under "reasonable criteria" related to the health, safety and general welfare of others.

You might also have a hard time finding any licensed attorney who wants to have their future career prospects linked to the outcome of your case.

It is no more unfair to require a group of people, who the statistics show are more prone to accidents due to age-related deterioration of driving skills, to be tested than it is to charge new, inexperienced drivers greatly-higher insurance rates due to them being involved in a greatly-higher percentage of accidents. Even new, inexperienced drivers who drive perfectly pay those higher rates. So, if you are as skilled as you say you are, you're only being inconvenienced with more-frequent testing. You aren't being harmed. You can't prove damages.

No, you can't sue a government agency for complying with the law.

Not successfully you cannot, no.  

No.  Age discrimination is legal, except in employment and housing.

• xyzzy

If you are 79 you should know that you can't sue the DMV, if for no other reason than they do not set how often the test must be taken. That is set by the state legislature. If you think the laws should be changed, talk to you state Representative.

Your DMV is following state or federal laws/guidelines.

A driver's license isn't a "right"..  it's a privilege.