Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 month ago

What happens when you're still injured and Physical Therapy is complete?

Hi, I broke my Achilles (ankle) playing volleyball. I had surgery and I've been in Physical Therapy for about four months now. I go see my PT Doctor once a week and I see my surgeon every 3 months to check back with him. I was just informed that I have 2 more physical therapy visits left before I'm on my own. I asked my PT what happens next and all he gave me was a professional volleyball coach's number so I could begin work with him. 

The problem is, I still can't walk properly, and my PT told me I won't be able to run, let alone jump and play volleyball until around October 2021. So why am I being turned away for physical therapy 9 months shy of that? What exactly am I supposed to do for the time being? I doubt the volleyball coach would know anything about healing an achilles?

I just wanted to know if this was standard procedure for physical therapy given my situation. I haven't been cleared to do any physical activity by my dr. (I can barely go down the stairs) and I thought you do physical therapy until you were 100% (or at least close to 100%)

I am not a doctor so how would I know how to gauge that my leg is ready for physical activity? My doctor's literal words were "in a few months, you could probably start with a light jog, but it really depends on your calf muscle." 

That's so vague. & he said it's easy to re-rupture my achilles so why am I left to fend for myself? All he's given me is exercises to strengthen my ankle so what am I supposed to do? Is this right?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Insurance allows x amount of PT visits. Standard original order is usually something like 8 or 12, then as things go along. PT docs submit for more or they release you. Insurance has the finally say whether or not they will approve the 2nd or 3 rounds. So your fist call should be to your PT to see if they recommend more, 2nd should be to insurance to see if they will improve more. You can alwasy pay out of pocket, but that gets expensive.  By now, you have all the excerizies they do with you, you should be continuing to do them on your own. Insurance also puts limits on how many times you can follow up with your doc, so keep an eye on that also.

Once you know the exercises you can do them yourself. Be very careful not to put any sudden strain on it for a very long time. I spent months on a bike machine. 

• Tavy

You can do the exercises at home, the physio will show you what to do. This injury takes many months to heal.