Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

At what age did you know you wanted or didn't want children?

I've never had the desire to have children. I'm almost 26 years old. I honestly don't like children all that much. When a baby cries I want to throw it out the window (don't worry I would never do that. I just want to.) I have literally no maternal instinct. The thought of being pregnant gives me shudder. Is it safe to say I'll never change my mind? At what age did you know you wanted or didn't want children?

I knew when I was about 15 that I wanted kids, that way I don’t have to do the dishes anymore, that’s the sole purpose for all 3 of my children, but I’ll never tell them 😎

I knew I didn't want children at 14, I'm 42 now and I never had any.

I realized now I don't want kids I dont want them being messed up in the head like me and I realized I probably can't be a good mom and I just hope I'm infertile

Didn't really start wanting kids until around age 25sh zx

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• edward

I was 16 and i wanted kids.  My best friend got his girl pregnant and honestly we freaked about it but i did want kids.

Being a mother isn't for every woman, any more than being a parent is for every man. Many women choose to remain child free deliberately, and the number one reason why is usually professional. These are women who choose to have a career instead of worrying about raising kids. And there is NOTHING WRONG with that choice. And there is a fairly large percentage of women who never marry or or have kids because they never find the right person to do that with. I'm in that latter category. I also have spent most of a lifetime watching what infidelity did to my parents- how it ruined their relationships with me and my siblings, and how it ultimately ruined their lives, for the most part. So it should come as no surprise to anyone on here that I decided long ago that marriage wasn't for me and never would be. And because I am moral and believe in the sanctity of marriage, having kids outside the bounds of it isn't for me either.

I actually enjoy being single and having no dependents at mid-life. There are many perks that come with this, including not having to worry about paying for anybody's college tuition. I also get to play aunt to my siblings' kids without having to deal with any of the parental responsibility. That's a nice perk by itself. I can travel when I want to as well, and do things that would be impossible if I were married or had a family. Perhaps most important of all, I can fund my own retirement without the worry that someone will take away what I have carefully earned.

There's nothing wrong with thinking that you have no maternal instinct. Not everyone does. I don't particularly care for babies or little kids either- they tend to get on my nerves. On top of this, they are walking, crawling GERM FACTORIES that can easily make the adults around them sick. I'm not talking school aged kids here. No, I'm talking about infants and kids under 5. The older I get, the less and less tolerant I am of being around children that age for any length of time. Not that I would ever harm a child- of course I wouldn't. But that doesn't mean I have any interest in spending my days around them or catering to them. I think you're fine. I also think you're not likely to change your mind. Perhaps you might consider sterilization surgery, so that you're able to have physical (sexual) relationships without worrying about pregnancy.

I am homo/ gay.  I knew since 7-8 grade.  No desire either.  Further, I have no employment (none to speak of), so the whole issue is moot for me.

I had a slightly different problem.  I enjoy CHILDREN - I can't stand BABIES.

But, to have a CHILD, you usually need to go through the baby stage first.

So, I wanted a family.  I wanted CHILDREN - so I put up with the baby stage in order to get to that age of child that I really wanted.

I loved my daughters from day one - but I never truly ENJOYED my children until they reached about the age of three and up.

They are now adults and we are a close family.  

(I know - adoption would have been a choice to get a child that is past the baby stage, but that is always risky because a child that is already two or three years old has become attached to other people and becoming bonded to an older child can sometimes become challenging.  Although the "baby" stage is something that I really didn't enjoy as much as many women might, it is still a bonding stage in which you and your child do attach to each other.  And even though I don't enjoy the baby stage, I did my best to give the baby all the care and love they would need in order to have a bond when they did become the age I knew I would enjoy.)

I’ve known for a while and I’m 22. I just really don’t want to get fat

• April

I'm 25 and can't see myself having children anytime soon, but everyone's life story is different. (Quite honestly I've never even had a boyfriend or dated yet. Lol.) My mom kept saying she didn't like kids and would never had them, but decided to to have two in her 30s to keep my dad happy. Sometimes you learn to love kids once you have your own.