Skipz💎 asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My cat accidentally burnt 3 whiskers off, will this affect him ?

My cat is a couple months old and is curious about fire and candles. I never leave it alone around any animal but my cat was able to jump on the table and put his chin close to it . He’s usually good at staying away from tables but something caught his eye. Lesson learned. He didn’t meow but he did definitely ran under the cough but I instantly started smelling a burnt smell. 3 of his whiskers burnt off on his lower chin and a little bit of his hair under his chin. He didn’t lose hair ,it just feels a bit rough under.  It’s not too much but I’m still worried this will affect him. 

I’m sorry about the typos, I typed too fast to even look over it . 

Thank you all for your wonderful answers. It really put me at ease.  I’m sorry for freaking out, but he is definitely ok and back to the happy kitty he is. Someone suggested to cut the ends off to get rid of that burnt smell and that did work so thank you ! No more candles or anything he can get into. 

Favorite Answer

Cats use their whiskers to help them navigate in the dark and judge distance and size of small spaces. Your cat may be a little disoriented for a while. But whiskers grow back. Cats shed whiskers all the time and they grow back in a couple months. But don’t be surprised if the cat seems a little “off” or uncoordinated. If he still has a few normal whiskers on each side, he should be good. But you gotta stop burning candles around a curious kitten. Most animals have an instinct to avoid fire, but like human babies, kittens don’t always use very good judgment with stuff like that. He doesn’t have his mother, so YOU have to be his mother. Kittens often get into things they shouldn’t, and need help cleaning themselves and burying their poop in the litter box. They’re babies. Adult cats are very smart and low maintenance but you have to be a little more attentive with a kitten. 

Your cat is too young to be smoking. 

Dang! Tell him to leave the cigars alone. Mine likes cigars. I told him to get a job & buy his own. Stupid kitty.

• keerok

Lesson learned. They'll grow back. You might want to trim the burnt ends off to get rid of that crazy smell.

• a

I fostered two kittens for a few weeks. One afternoon I came home and checked on them. They had chewed each others' whiskers off.  

I think his whiskers will grow back. He'll be fine

He will be just fine. Get a tall glass container to put the candle in. I keep mine in a vase. You will still need to supervise but if its in a vase he wont be able to immediately get his face in it or accidentally catch his tail on fire. You can even put rocks or something in it to weigh it down so he cant move it around as easy. 

He’ll be fine as long as he doesn’t lose all his whiskers. Whiskers are like a measuring tape. It tells him how much room he has if he decides to crawl into a tight place.

He'll be ok. Candles and pets together are a danger,  don't put them where he can catch a tail on fire m