Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

MOT expire?

Hi my MOT expires on the 24/01/2021. I’ve managed to book an mot appointment for the 26/01/2021. Am I still okay to drive tomorrow untill midnight or does it expire at mid night tonight? 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

The law entitles you to drive a car to the MOT test if the current test has expired providing it is insured, but only to your nearest test centre and not half way across the country to visit your Aunt in the process.

• 1 month ago

Your MOT is still valid on the 25th and you can only drive on the 29th to the MOT center.

• 1 month ago

Your MOT expired at 23:59 last night. Today you cannot legally drive the car at all. 

But as your MOT has been booked in advance you CAN legally drive the car directly there as long as the insurance is still valid. Directly means exactly that: no stopping at shops or to drop anyone off on the way and no unnecessary detours from the obvious most direct routes there.

Normal rules also apply: you cannot legally drive it at all if you already know that the car has faults which make it “unroadworthy”.

If the car passes the MOT you can drive it home: if it fails you CANNOT legally drive it away from the MOT centre, but you can take it away on a transporter (with no MOT it cannot even be legally towed away).

Good luck with the MOT tomorrow 🤞

• 1 month ago

if your mot runs out on the 24th you can drive it to the garage for a test if its booked in for that date ..the26th ..however you cant drive it home if it fails ..unless your previous mot has not run out ..date wise .however if they find a serious fault you cannot drive it away 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • garry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

its actually good for a month after it due but your not insured , they do allow you a month after it expires . just remember your driving an uninsured car ..as long as you have called them and let them know ..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't know. Depends what COUNTRY you live in, in the world(considering there is 220 of them) so you ain't the only place on the planet.  So maybe check around by telephoning local insurance agents and asking them or MOT offices or DMV offices.  You do have a TELEPHONE BOOK for your town, so start looking in there. (blue pages or Government pages) or you can call the local police shop information.

• PANKO
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I'm American, but I suggest you google the question or call the ministry of transportation.

• 1 month ago

It expires at midnight on the 24th. You're grounded on the 25th, but you are legal to drive direct to the testing centre on the 26th, or even on the 25th if you plan to leave it there off road overnight

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You're okay. 

Your MOT expires at midnight on 24th of January,  but you are legal to take it for MOT on the 26th providing it's insured. That means directly to the MOT testing station, no stops or detours. 

DON'T DRIVE IT ON THE 25TH! 

• 1 month ago

Your MOT is still valid on the 24th and you can only drive on the 26th to the MOT centre. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.