Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 month ago

Do I contact child support help Or family court to claim money as a dependent?

My dad was paying my aunt child support and when she kicked me out she was still receiving child support for me. It’s been 9 months she also claimed me as her dependent on her taxes (If that has to do with anything)

NO. There are exactly ZERO cases where you can claim child support unless YOU are caring for a child, and YOU can't be the child.

Your aunt is committing fraud and that is a crime. Your father should stop the payments and, should he decide to, can take legal action for restitution of the funds paid. As for the tax issue, if she supported you during the year in which she claimed you, it's correct. If you've supported yourself, you should claim yourself. If she's falsely done this, report her to the IRS.

Child support is never paid to you.  Ever.  

You go directly to the office of child support and make the report in person

• n2mama

You will not be able to get the child support money yourself, if that’s what you were thinking. Your dad could take your aunt to court, but you aren’t going to get money as a result.

Your dad can go after your aunt for taking child support she didn't deserve.

That doesn't make the money yours. 

You aren't entitled to any money from your aunt.    Child support is paid to the adult who is responsible for caring for the child.   You have nothing to claim as you will never, ever receive child support for your own self.  

If you file a tax return, you're free to state that no one else can claim you as a dependent.   The IRS will pick up on the conflict, investigate and determine whether you or your aunt are correct.   Unless you make enough money to have an income tax bill, it's not going to make any difference to you.   

Your Dad has to contact the Courts not you.