Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Son got a major promotion and didn't tell me?

I'm in my 70s and am retired. I have two sons, both of whom have done well in their careers.  

One son used to visit once a month (pre-pandemic), despite living hundreds of miles away.  He then stopped, and I stopped hearing much from him. He'll respond to some emails, but just with short responses that don't really say much.

I was looking on his company's website and he was promoted to President.  It's a mid-sized company that, based on its website, is ranked in the top 10 in the world for its line of business (based on a third-party ranking that is shown on its website). There was also a nice press release about his promotion, shown on his website. I then Googled it and it was in the Wall Street Journal.

He didn't tell me.

So I emailed him to blast him for not telling me, and a few days later, he responded, "Yes, I was promoted in December."

What is wrong with him?

This is an easy one to answer and a hard one to keep a family connection.

Heard both sides on this one , so humor me:

You are in the 70's and retired....no word on retirement/part time gigs or volunteering....assuming you are not sitting the chair and watching Home Improvement ( old sitcom) re-runs on Firestick/Netflix.

Son is late 40's and gonna guess schooled/out of school many years ago.

i am guessing "the village" ( family,relatives,you,etc) helped him with school, starting out and  the ability to remain sane in adverse conditions.....good job on that.

He learned and applied.....over and over again.

Kids don't become president in the blink of an eye...guessing the shop talk was minimal on the visits.

Sometimes we think out kids should be promoted every 4-5 years('because that's the way it's done") and life simply doesn't work out that way all the time ( at least in my world).

If son lives 100's miles away, odds are he's got a life that revolves around work and events of the area he lives in.

Do the hotel thing friday night and see him for saturday kid events or volunteer with him at an event.....take pictures. Talk. go back home sunday afternoon. Call him when you get back home. Send him a thank you card for allowing you to be a part of the weekend event.

If this action is simply not possible ( even in the warm months) , then make peace that you did a good job raising your children and cut out the WSJ article and frame it.

If none of this makes any sense and ya still don't know what to do.....ask your friends/fellow retirees.

He's probably focused on his job.

• ?

sounds like a selfish, self centered dolt,  who doesn't feel the need to stay in touch. 

Maybe he didn't feel it necessary in telling you zxjqkbcd

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Ask him, not us

He is grown up!

Wait.  Your response to this was to send an email "blasting him"?  And you thought this would end well?  His answer was brief, but perfectly polite.  What do you think he owed you after that childish temper tantrum?  Maybe look inward for why he'd not pass along something this major.

I can see it now his old man not getting the credit he thinks he deserves and it was in spite of you that he did and that is why he doesn't respond the way you want.

you need to ask him that question

What is wrong with you?  He is obviously busy in a new position at work.  He does not have as much time as he had previously.  When you contact him you "blast" him.  No wonder he does not want to keep in touch.