Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

If you saw someone you know who’s a hunter shoot an animal and then laugh while it is dying, what would you do?

Favorite Answer

Psychological tendencys, social acceptance, inadequacy to conform to others, it seems this person has been through some crap in their lives.  I can go on about psychology and criminology, point is laughing is a defense mechanism to obtain your acceptance into his train of thought.

Would not surprise me if this individual has started with small animals, typically cats, as a youth and "graduated" to bigger... things.

Personally I would take my knife and end its suffering immediately without question.  Hunting is a sport, not a comedic occasion.  Every factor is premeditated, and to laugh while it is suffering?  Somebody left their moral compass at home, or never had one to begin with.

So yes I would slice its throat, and then proceed to argue and perhaps fight said individual because my morals do not align with theirs.  "This" is not right, "I" am uncomfortable, however you want to put it. 

After the matter I would report the individual, a few weeks later as they probably do this often so spread out the time frame to not be the snitch.  Just the same, there are underlying psychological issues here, and quite possibly they are very dangerous.  They seek acceptance, have little to no moral compass, and need a partner in crime to align their beliefs with.

Kill the animal humanely, have a beer, and sucker punch that MOFO in the gut when your back to civilization.  Furthermore, make sure this person isn't kidnapping and murdering people in his basement!  Ya never know.

Taking a wild stab in the dark here, this person was probably abused (maybe sexually) as a youth, has disassociation social tendencies, and feels that the world\government is against them.  Kinda a big deal, and a LOT of weight on the individuals shoulders.  Maybe there is a trigger that caused said behavior, a divorce, adultery, something.  Laughing at anything suffering, is not normal - its a sign of underlying issues...

Source(s): psyc major, criminology, law, ethics, avid hunter, wife is a vegetarian
  • John

Probably think they are insane or at least a sandwich short of a full picnic.

I would also think he should not be hunting at all and not have access to a weapon. 

I would mercy kill the animal if it was still alive, right in front of the hunter. I have killed deer around my property because some ahole didnt have an ethical shot, blew off a foot, shot the leg or just didnt know where to shoot I guess. Face to face, nothing else I can do except express my shame in sharing the land with such a dirtbag

You could report him. He apparently needs some help to be that cruel.

• Quinn

Nothing if he obeys the law and harvest what he killed.  

• Adam D

If they are following the hunting regulations, it's none of my damn business how they react to legally taking an animal while hunting.

• BBean

If the hunter were a good friend I would be patient and not judge for fact he may have PBA ( PseudoBulbarAffect). I`ve seen it, although annoying, doesn`t mean that person poses a risk or doesn`t have opposite of inferred emotions.

I do detect a bit of animosity in your question since you didn`t add much needed details.... my smartast answer would be to make YOUR guy the "point man".`Nam style.

• C T M

That wouldn't ever happen with the hunters I know. Perhaps the people you know are sadistic.

Every one I hunt with tries to make the kill a quick and "clean" one. I don't ever remember having some one I was hunting with laugh while the animal suffered.

That said I do know of a guy who shot a few coyotes that taking the calves' from his herd who laughed after he shot them and they were dead. He said something about them getting their just deserts. But the coyotes never suffered, they were clean kills.

• ?

Nothing, mf has a gun