Can I ask for a higher salary after job offer, UK?

Hi,

On Monday I have an interview for a job that is very similar to my current.

I am currently on £30k, the new job will pay £33k.

The reason I am applying with this new company is because it is more local to me. Although I currently work digitally anyway, I would like to have conversations with stakeholders and businesses that are nearer to where I live. And if I need to, I can go for face-to-face meetings (when we're allowed), without having to travel hours on end.

The differences in this new role are:

- I will be managing a team 

- May have to work some weekends, evenings. (I don't know how often, just says in job desc)

- Will be required to travel now and again (I work from home in my current job permenantly)

The 3k increase on my current salary is great, but for my goals, including getting my first mortgage, I am wanting at least £35k so I would need them to add another £2k to the salary. In the job description it says up to £33k so does this mean they can't go higher than £33k, or very likely wont?

I think if I really put a lot of effort into the interview, based on how similar my current role is I should have a very good chance but I don't want to waste anyone's time. 

What do you think I should do?

I am from the UK

• Maxi

They are advertising the maximum they are prepared to pay for that position and it is also unlikely if they offer you the job they will also offer maximum salary ...so 'if' you ask for more they will say no or ask if you have read the job discription/maximum salary and are unlikely to offer you the job.......

• n2mama

1. They haven’t offered you anything yet, and if they should offer you the job, there is nothing that says they will offer you 33k. The listing says up to 33k, so that would be the most you would potentially be offered. And that’s if you are the best qualified candidate that they interview for the position. They could offer you only 30k.

2. You can ask for anything you’d like to. You will not get them to bring the offer up to 35k because you’d like to get a mortgage though. The company doesn’t care about your personal financial goals. If you want a higher salary then you need to have justification for why you deserve to earn that. This would include credentials and experience that make you highly qualified for the role or set you apart from the competition.

3. If they offer you 32k and you counter with 35k and they say no, would you still accept the job or not? 

If you are hard set on a minimum salary of 35k for you next role, this might not be the right position for you.