Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

How long does a laptop last?

I read that a laptop lasts 3 years, is this true? If so, how come it only lasts for 3 years. Can you make it last much longer if you change the battery after 3 years?

• Dick

As long as you want it to.  There are lots of old laptops out there still running XP, etc.  It's just a matter if you are willing to keep up with technology and either update cheaply or save for a new pc.  

The 3 year mark might be better titled if it were called "The Point of No Return".

End of Year 1:  Warranty's up.  Wonder what will fail?

End of Year 2:  No extended warranty available.  No failures yet ... fingers crossed!

End of Year 3:  Thinking about a new laptop.  This one is 3 years old already....

Depends on the build quality. Apple uses Aluminum but the keys can wear, if you can afford the repairs costs of keeping the keys working, and all that, a Mac will go 6-7 years easy. Without maintenance, 4 years.

Most computers last a LOOOOOONG time, but the hard drives (when they used to be Spinning Drives and not SSD) would actually die, which is easy to replace. But some people think it's over. a Stick of RAM (even that's easily replaced) can go bad as well. If those things stop you, then 3-5 years easy.

Now if you keep fixing it, 10-14 years before the CPU finally burns out, or the motherboard does taking the CPU with it. Depends on the build quality. Metal Lenovo and Apple are going to die a lot slower than plastic Dells, and HPs.

Source(s): Built 1000 computers in my life.
  • ?

You should be able to use one for at least 5 years if you get it new.

I have had a laptop that I got used (about three years old) and then ran it for another 7 years after that.  I have had a laptop that died after about 2 and 1/2 years.  So there is no real answer to the question.

The three year "rule" is because of the way that technology tends to increase.  There is what is known as "Moore's Law" which was a theory he developed in the 60s then computers first appeared that predicted the power of computer would double about every 18 months.  And so far that has been correct.  

A computer that is three years old is usually getting behind in technology.  If may no longer be able to run the software appearing on the market and use new hardware devices.  It also will have a slower processor, memory, hard drive, etc. then newer computers.  So many people will find that after 3 years they will want to replace their laptop because it is no longer able to do everything they want because it is old technology.  This is especially true if you are a gamer.

Also because laptops are "portable", they tend to have a shorter life then a desktop.  They get dropped, wet, hit, etc.,  and over time that causes damage to them.  While a desktop usually does not take that kind of damage.

Also as you install and uninstall programs, add and delete data files, etc., you cause the computer to run slower.  There will be things left over from old programs that try to run in the background that eat up some of your memory and processing power.  There will be orphaned registry entries that will slow your computer's ability to read the registry.  There will be bad sectors on the hard drive.  Because Windows installs files in the first empty space it finds, files you need may end up at the end of the hard drive where it takes longer to access them.  Etc.  Usually after about 3 years you will see performance dropping.  But this can be resolved by wiping the drive and reinstalling Windows.

There is nothing that forces you to replace a laptop after three years.  Just like there is nothing that forces you to replace a car after three years.  but the longer you run the car the more likely you are to have problems with it and need to do costly repairs.  So also with a computer, the longer you run it the more likely you are to have issues with it.

My windows 7 laptop is 9 years old and running strong as ever. I have gone through 3 batteries though. Don't throw away a $1000 computer just because it needs a $29 battery. If you take care of your stuff it lasts. I have an old 1995 ThinkPad with Windows 95 that still works, though it needs a new main battery and Bios battery. I can fire it up and use it running off the transformer.

What is the normal life expectancy of a PC? Similar concerns apply to PCs. Most specialists gauge a PC's life expectancy to be three to five years. It might endure longer than that, yet its utility will be restricted as the parts become less fit for running progressed applications.

Generally speaking, your typical mid-range laptop should last roughly three years. And if you take good care of your computer, it may even last a bit longer than that.

• garry

the battery last 3 years , but laptops can last for 10 -15 years running of a power transformer . they can outlast your operating system , good for old software . even seen one with windows xp ..

• keerok

My laptop is 8 years old. It's a 17" i5 Dell Inspiron. I bought it brand new. It's still on its original battery and original software. The moment I got home with it, I turned off all automatic updates and installed a free antivirus. The laptop still works flawlessly and serves me well after all these years.

• Mark

Three years is about right, and no, unless you do like on TV shows and CONSTANTLY use the laptop unplugged, batteries have nothing to do with it.