Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 month ago

Does anyone else think that high capacity in a concealed carry handgun is just a gimmick to make it more expensive?

Allow me to elaborate:

I see a lot of handguns that are marketed for concealed carry that have a capacity of 15 plus rounds, and these are almost always higher priced than an otherwise comparable handgun with a lower capacity.

But why should anyone pay more for a higher capacity if its just your concealed carry handgun?

I carry a 5 round .357 revolver and I think 5 shots is more than enough for that.

Because if I'm ever in a self defense situation where I need to fire MORE than 5 shots, then I'm either vastly outnumbered or am in some other type of hopeless situation that I'm not likely to come out of alive regardless of how many shots I have.

Robin: Nope, a Ruger SP101 3" barrel. 

• ?

No. I have a cheap $250 7rd, 380 pocket pistol with 2 15rd aftermarket mags that all fit it my 2 front pockets

what are you talking about? a double stack pistol these days is just as if not more affordable than single stacks if you exclude hi points. definately more affordable than defensive revolvers. 

• Mr.357

I don't believe that.  At least the XDS 45 is more expensive than the XD45.

Gimmick?...maybe. A gimmick to drive up the price? Not likely.

R&D does need funding to figure out how to get concealed weapons to carry more but that's par for the course. And personally I'll always opt for more rounds instead of fewer. Sure I'll  probably never use them all in defense but better to have and not need (especially without fumbling with reloading) than need and not have.

• Matt

Never heard anyone after a gunfight regret carrying extra ammo.

• ?

So your carry gun is a derringer 

Here let me paraphrase your question, reading between the lines:

"I have very little training in self defense and have never been in a serious self defense situation, let alone an actual firefight.   I carry a firearm that does not perform well in a concealed carry role due to the stiff recoil in the lighter weight firearm and cartridge underperformance in a short barrel.  I also ignore that literally 10s of thousands of articles from actual experts and people far more experienced than me. FInally, my personal philosophy is that if you need to use more than 5 shots, I give up; just give me a pine box to put my corpse in.  I don't even carry a speed loader or moon clip to give me a chance if I shoot the cylinder dry."Nonetheless I am going to use the Internet to question the motives of firearm manufacturers and by extension, the rationale that millions of other gun owners use to choose their concealed carry handgun."So basically you are saying that the buyers of firearms like the Sig P365 or SA Hellcat subcompacts (in additional to the dozens of other subcompact and compact options) are being duped by corporate greed?The short answer is NO, no one with any kind of experience thinks that.  Organizations like the FBI have stated the opposite in fact.

• Quinn

In order to hold a larger capacity of ammo, a handgun has to be proportionally larger than one that has less capacity.  Large frame means more material and that translates into higher price.  

You are also comparing apples to oranges.  A revolver is old technology that has reached the apex of development. There is not much more refinement you can do to a revolver. But a semi-auto which is the only way you are going to get high capacity is still a relatively new technology which is still undergoing various changes. For example, solid metal frame to polymer frame. There are at least 4 common locking systems in use for semi-autos. You always pay more for the latest and greatest.

Lastly, while I kind of agree with you on 5 rounds being sufficient for most situations, you need to take a long hard look around you today.  There are cities throughout the US that have rioting and looting going on for more than 10 months unlike Washington D.C. where the hypocrites in Congress who have not done one thing for those cities put the clamp down on the "insurrection" within 48 hours and have armed national guards patrolling the Capitol. If you were living in one of those hot spots where mobs of "protestors" are wandering the streets and the police department was defunded, do you rally believe a high capacity handgun is unnecessary? Remember, there are law abiding people living in those war zones and they have to risk their lives whenever they go out .to work or buy groceries, not to mention hoping their homes will not be targeted 

If you have only five shots you have to learn how to keep cool and AIM.   That takes a lot of practice.   If you got a gun with a whole bunch of rounds you do not have to practice as much.   You just aim the gun in the general direction of the target and blast away and hope some of your rounds hit the target.    You see videos of cops doing that all the time,  they pull the trigger as fast as they can and more of their shots are misses rather than hits.   The same logic carries over to concealed carry,   lots of rounds,  fire fast,  hope you get lucky.   

• Dze

i like more rounds .. but it rarely gives you a tactical advantage .. there are some cases though where you could be in trouble especially trying to reload a cumbersome revolver in a large fire fight, theres documented cases of someone walking right up on somebody reloading a revolver and wasting them point blank .. all that said a rifle is about 10X better than any handgun if the situation allows you to have one ..