Is it worth paying more than double for a set of tires to have high end Michelin’s?

Favorite Answer

How long do you expect to keep the car?  ....  How do you drive:  just around town in nice weather, or long highway miles in all kinds of weather?  What kind/type of car?

Never buy el Cheapo tires - a false economy,  but don't waste money on high-speed, high performance tires for normal use.  No use spending more for 80,000 mile tires if it's a old car you plan to get rid of soon.

I've had good service from Goodyear and Dunlop tires - usually their best for a fairly new car I'm going to keep.....their best tires are less costly than "exotic" performance tires.  I had one set of Michelin tires which were NOT satisfactory:  they might have lasted a long time, but had very poor traction in the rain . . . . I replaced them after 6 months and took the financial hit but sure felt safer.

I purchased 5 Uniroyal steel cats top of the Range Tyres 60,000 miles later worn out so I purchased  set of 5 Chinese tyres lasted 65,000 miles at 1/3 the Price

today I am on my 3 set of Chinese tyres top speed in my Country is 110 kh so where is the Point is Tyres rated at 200 MPH

• garry

michelin isnt the high end , its the medium price range and yes there worth it , try pirelli and other eupopian brands .

The only Michelins I would pay extra for are the CrossClimate all season tires.   They are the ONLY all season tires that are winter rated for heavy snow.   

I've run expensive Michelin tires before and they were great the first year but the second Winter they didn't have much traction and the road noise was bad. I don't know what kind of vehicle you're driving so don't know what to recommend.

Not on my Corolla. If I had a 911 or a Hellcat, I might need tires that could handle the power and G's while I constantly break the law- I mean enjoy  spirited driving..

Sometimes. But there should be a case for it. A high end car driven hard should have tires suitable for the purpose. If your car is just a car to you, then just get good tires.

• More than 50% less is a big difference.. My guess is you will get what you paid for.. Cheap tires.. Make sure you have a good spare..

I always buy Goodyears.  Michelins wear too quickly.

I suggest you check Consumers Report for information of the best tires. Then you can figure out what you are paying for