Al asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

If I violate a contract without realizing it, could I be sued ?

my defense would be I did not read the contract or the print was so small it was unreadable. I could speculate the print was INTENTIONALLY small to DECEIVE signers of the contract. 

if I pretend to be mentally incompetent, could I get out of the contract 

• RICK

By signing you are saying you read the contract in full and agree with it

So know

You might be able to claim mental incompetent  if there was prove from prior to the signature 

When you sign you LEGALLY admit you have read the contract IN FULL.  "Intentionally small" doesn't matter.  Yes, take your medical records that indicate you are mentally incompetent to Court when you get sued.  I suspect there is no "pretending" when it comes to your mental health.

• xyzzy

Nope. It doesn't work that way. It is your responsibility to read all parts of the contract. If there are portions that you cannot read request a copy with larger print before you sign.

That will not work.

my defense would be I did not read the contract

That IS NOT a defense. In fact, it could cause you to lose a case you would otherwise win.

I could speculate the print was INTENTIONALLY small to DECEIVE signers of the contract.

That actually could be a legitimate defense, but you would need evidence you don't even claim to believe.

WHEN you were caught, you could be CRIMINALLY charged with fraud.

anything is possible

Yes, you could. 

LOL

the law does not accept childish excuses

ignorance is never a reason.  You will always lose due to ignorance. 

"Gee officer, I didn't see the speed limit sign so I can't possibly know what the speed limit is."

you sure can be sued .  never sign anything you have not read or understand .