Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareOther - Hardware · 1 month ago

Can I upgrade my RAM speed?

I have confirmed that I can install a maximum of 32GB of the DDR4 type PC4. I currently have two 8GB modules that are DDR4-2400 / PC4-19200 SO-DIMM. The important part of this post is not just upgrading the RAM to 32GB but also if I can upgrade the speed from 2400MHz to 3200MHz? My Asus laptop's system model is GL553VD. 

Your motherboard or PC might limit the speed of the RAM it supports, mostly because it was designed for the RAM that was out at the time the motherboard was manufactured.

Check your system specs to see what it can handle. It might even be that you can update your BIOS to support higher speed RAM if you want.

• P

Your GL553VD doesn't support the Intel XMP profile so while 3200mhz ram will technically work it will get throttled down to 2666mhz.     Your laptop's main bottleneck for gaming is the video card and video memory, so adding 32gb of system memory won't help much compared to 16gb.  I would suggest just saving your money for a future laptop.  I get that you are probably desperate to upgrade something, but I don't think it's going to make that much of a difference.  It is unfortunate laptops have such limited options.  

Your motherboard or PC might limit the speed of the RAM it supports, mostly because it was designed for the RAM that was out at the time the motherboard was manufactured. Check your system specs to see what it can handle. It might even be that you can update your BIOS to support higher speed RAM if you want

Computer circuits are balanced to match component speeds against each other along the lines of "optimum delivery time" concepts.  It is possible that faster RAM will have no effect and thus the higher cost will be wasted.  I'm sure you have heard the old saying about "a chain is no stronger than its weakest link."  Well, a computer is no faster than its slowest circuit component.  If that wasn't memory to begin with, adding faster memory does nothing.

Your motherboard or PC may restrict the speed of the RAM it upholds, generally on the grounds that it was intended for the RAM that was out at the time the motherboard was fabricated. Check your framework specs to perceive what it can deal with. It may even be that you can refresh your BIOS to help higher speed RAM on the off chance that you need.

input your system model into the memory finder at many online vendors of crucial.com -- it's tell you what memory will work.  So will the support pages for that model on Asus' website

• Barry

If you go to Crucial.com they will tell you what is compatible with your machine. This can saved wasted cash. The site is 100% safe and they have been around for many years. Allow them to scan your laptop. You can buy the RAM anywhere of course.

• keerok

Yes there are indeed RAM with faster speeds but check your motherboard's manual if it can accept them. Motherboards are designed to use only a few types of RAM. Even if you have the correct form, if the wrong size, type or speed is installed, it won't work.

The memory controller in the CPU will determine the speed of the RAM. It's not always a straightforward process because the amount of memory installed, Rank, and the speed of the modules will determine what speed and cas latency the CPU's Memory controller runs the RAM. Some systems have an unlocked BIOS which allows you to set the RAM speed, and some very high end laptops have unlocked BIOS features. 

It seems like you have an entry level gaming laptop so I wouldn't count on being able to run the RAM at 3200mhz. If system has an unlocked BIOS and you do get it to run at 3200mhz, you'd have to set the speeds manually in the BIOS. Noobs that write bad reviews for high speed desktop memory kits, that won't automatically clock the RAM to the advertised speeds are a dime a dozen.

Processor will run with the speed of slower RAM - 2400MHz