Am I an alcoholic?

Ever since the pandemic started, I picked up weekend drinking (around May 2020).  Was never really interested in alcohol before, maybe had the occasional drink or two. However, I tried twisted teas and I really liked them. I’m 25 and a female. I have about 6-12 beers every weekend. I do not drink during the week and never feel the need to. I really just love the buzzed feeling. I am also on antidepressants but it does not seem to affect them. What do you guys think? 

Twelve beers over a weekend doesnt sound excessive to me for a 25 year old, but I don't know your size / weight. Are you spreading them out over 5 or 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday, or shot-gunning them all in 20 minutes? Your body will let you know if you're over doing it. Don't let drinking get in the way of living your life.

Yes, I'm afraid you are.  I'd like to tell you there are successful programs and treatments to help you overcome your alcoholism, but that would be a lie.

Right now you're just a weekend binge drinker.  If you are unable or unwilling to stop at 2 drinks, you have a type of drinking problem.  If you're drinking 4+ beers or similar drinks every time you drink, you're getting more than a little buzzed, and you are on a slipper slope. 

I would STRONGLY encourage you to discuss this with the doctor the prescribed your antidepressants.  Alcohol is a depressant.  Drinking significant quantities of alcohol is not wise pr advised -- even if you don't think it is making your problem worse.

Not yet, but you could be eventually. Right now, you're in control.

• kswck2

If you need to ask, then Yes, you are. 

• No. You aren’t an alcoholic. You are a binge drinker. It’s not the best idea, though if you stick to 3 beers Saturday and 3 Sunday, you aren’t that excessive. Pass on drinking a full 6-pack at a time.

You may not be one now, but you are well on your way if you keep that up, especially mixing the beer with anti-depressants. 

You are a controlled alcoholic.  Try to get your drinking in before you have a substantial meal on weekends to short-circuit your drinking.  Also, buy Heinekins Light beer to drink when you know you shouldn't be.  Two Heinekins light (be sure it is the light) have the alcohol of 1 1/4 regular beer.

Sounds like it.  

its possible, maybe you should stop drinking