Am I an alcoholic?

Ever since the pandemic started, I picked up weekend drinking (around May 2020).  Was never really interested in alcohol before, maybe had the occasional drink or two. However, I tried twisted teas and I really liked them. I’m 25 and a female. I have about 6-12 beers every weekend. I do not drink during the week and never feel the need to. I really just love the buzzed feeling. I am also on antidepressants but it does not seem to affect them. What do you guys think? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Twelve beers over a weekend doesnt sound excessive to me for a 25 year old, but I don't know your size / weight. Are you spreading them out over 5 or 6 hours on Saturday and Sunday, or shot-gunning them all in 20 minutes? Your body will let you know if you're over doing it. Don't let drinking get in the way of living your life.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, I'm afraid you are.  I'd like to tell you there are successful programs and treatments to help you overcome your alcoholism, but that would be a lie.

• 1 month ago

Right now you're just a weekend binge drinker.  If you are unable or unwilling to stop at 2 drinks, you have a type of drinking problem.  If you're drinking 4+ beers or similar drinks every time you drink, you're getting more than a little buzzed, and you are on a slipper slope. 

I would STRONGLY encourage you to discuss this with the doctor the prescribed your antidepressants.  Alcohol is a depressant.  Drinking significant quantities of alcohol is not wise pr advised -- even if you don't think it is making your problem worse.

• 1 month ago

Not yet, but you could be eventually. Right now, you're in control.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you need to ask, then Yes, you are. 

• No. You aren’t an alcoholic. You are a binge drinker. It’s not the best idea, though if you stick to 3 beers Saturday and 3 Sunday, you aren’t that excessive. Pass on drinking a full 6-pack at a time.

• 1 month ago

You may not be one now, but you are well on your way if you keep that up, especially mixing the beer with anti-depressants. 

• 1 month ago

You are a controlled alcoholic.  Try to get your drinking in before you have a substantial meal on weekends to short-circuit your drinking.  Also, buy Heinekins Light beer to drink when you know you shouldn't be.  Two Heinekins light (be sure it is the light) have the alcohol of 1 1/4 regular beer.

• 1 month ago

Sounds like it.  

• 1 month ago

its possible, maybe you should stop drinking

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.