Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How come people think that moving to an new city isn't going to solve my mental illness or depression?

So I live in a small city and I'm on track to move out to a new city once my family and I are ready and get our house sold. I have faith that I will be able to find some new friends and maybe find love in a new city since it is a new evoirment and a new set of people. Basically starting over and fresh in a new city. A lot of people have been telling me that moving to a new city isn't going to solve my problems or my issues. My relatives think that I'm still going to have the same problems and won't be able to find a girlfriend in the new city cause they think that I'm screwed in the head. Why do people think that it isn't going to help or make me feel better ?? 

Well, think about it. What will have changed? Only your location.

You will still be the same and the issues you have now that prevent you making friends or having a partner etc won't have changed.

Moving to a new location is stressful at the best of times... But for someone with issues, it will be ten times worse.

Your relatives are right.

Blah, blah, blah.

Whine, whine, whine.

People don't think that moving isn't going to solve your depression or mental illness they know it won't. 

You are still going to be the same person, still make the same bad decisions and treat others with total disregard.

This all of course begs the question of you being unwilling to hold a job and thus unable to earn enough money to pay rent and living expenses.  

Until you actually accept responsibility for your behavior and work to change it your problems will continue.  

Being autistic is not a free pass and being an inept liar and troll is not a disability, jacob.

The more mouths, the more talks. :)

You've some kind of like anxiety issues. :) Try to make it solve.

Why are you listening to "a lot of people?"  You'll have the support of your family to help you.  If you do have problems, you can see a therapist if needed.  Don't be afraid to ask for help.

I'm skeptical of your idea. Moving creates problems. You're cut off from your contacts, alone. Are you really a babe magnet? Advice from experts about depression in my recent answers, click and read. At least figure out how to deal with the illness before you move. And listen to some songs about people who thought the big city was the quick fix, like this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yi762sQTo

Youtube thumbnail

• ?

It definitely will NOT solve your problems and issues because you're still going to have them no matter where you go, but it WILL definitely provide you with a fresh start and plenty of opportunities and could totally aid you in coping and feeling much better. You're not screwed in the head, you're just chemically imbalanced. The fresh start could be just the thing to help you. You always have a chance of finding new friends and a girlfriend no matter where you are, so it is possible and your relatives are fools. Here's the thing, moving isn't guaranteed to help and make you feel better, but if you go there with all the confidence and you put yourself out there and put all your energy and effort into getting better and improving yourself and your life, it can totally do wonders for you. Just don't let yourself get caught up in your mental illness and become a loner, and cut yourself off from everyone, and get caught up in your thoughts, and letting yourself become consumed by your depression and stuff, because that's when it won't be good for you as you'd suddenly have the same problems but now you're all alone. Fight it. Push through it. Force yourself to do stuff. Stay focused. Stay busy. Meet people. If you can all that up, you'll do just fine. You can do this. Proud of you. Best of luck, my friend.

• Andy C

Experience. 

Logic.

Both.

Geographical cure almost never works for anything,  especially your kind of problem. 

You can't move away from yourself.

• Rod

I've had a therapist say something I always remember. "The problem with making geographical moves is you have to take yourself with you."  I also know from personal experience from more than one occasion, thinking that moving would help me with my personal issues. It helps for a while, but you still have your issues that need attention.  You just packed them away mentally when you packed and brought your belongings too.