? asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 month ago

Why does no animal starve to death?

Favorite Answer

Sometimes they do.  But generally, wildlife lives in an area that provides enough food, and the animals are not real particular as to what they eat (as long as it is biologically appropriate). 

If one of the big carnivore gets injured and cannot hunt, it's very likely that it will.

It is actually rare for an animal in the wild to starve to death.  Usually they get eaten by other predators, or in fact, cannibalized.  Wolves, even in a pack, will, during food shortages, eat their own pups for survival.

Even domesticated animals, exotics included (snakes, lizards and the like) that "anticipate" their handlers to feed them on a regular basis, will become malnourished and therefore be eaten.

Deer?  Oh man, that was like half of my environmental biology class.  They're overpopulating and destroying wildlife.  Sure they are vegetarians but when the vegetation is consumed, they eat bark off trees.  Although this is unhealthy, that's survival.  This is why deer hunting is "encouraged" for lack of a better word.  A hunter typically uses the meat, hide, and other resources that would otherwise end up on the hood of your car in the middle of the night.  Figure it this way, lets make hunting deer illegal, including legalized culling.  Suddenly trees are dying, anything green has been consumed, O2 is not being produced and eventually we die as a result, among other variables that are destroying our planet.

I mean geez, I have stopped my car in the middle of nowhere and seen a snake consume roadkill!  Multiple times at that.

Figure this as an analogy, don't goto the grocery store for a few weeks.  When your actually starving, whatever didn't look appetizing 3 weeks ago, is now appetizing!

All things considered, if I stopped buying food, I bet I could convince my wife, vegetarian 15 years and running, to finally eat meat!

• garry

thinks your brain is starved from no knowledge , troll .

• D g

they do all the time where are you...

its a cycle  .. there is enough deer for example to  feed the wolves 

the wolves have more pups and then  eat more deer 

then have more pups and  eat so much deer they cant find any 

and some wolves then  STARVE 

THE POPULATION OF wolves drops and   the deer population grows again    

then the cycle starts over

deer also will starve if they dont eat enough to  get them through winter food shortages

Many do in the wild. You just haven't seen them. Also, when an animal is weakened by malnutrition, they are easy prey for predators since they are weak and unable to defend themselves.  So, many are killed an eaten before they starve to death. 

• F

Sick or injured animals that can’t hunt may starve to death but often they will be hunted by something else.

Uh....they do. All the time. It's extremely common. They often tend to get eaten just before or after actual death, but starvation is a very common problem.

• Matt

because they live in a free market with no government

Over grazing is a reality even in nature! When this happens animals do starve to death.