Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

Will a 55,000 BTU direct vent forced air wall heater work to heat a 940 square foot home?

I had a floor furnace give out.  I was thinking about replacing it with a wall heater.  The heater I'm looking at is natural gas, direct vent 55,000 BTU.  The house was estimated to be 940 square feet with the main section being a square shape and pretty much open.  That floor furnace could seriously make the main section of the house hot and it could hold 70 degrees fahrenheit on a cold winter day easy.

I don't want to have to install ductwork, so I would have forced air from a single location.  Ceiling height is about 9 foot.  I do have 2 ceiling fans to help circulate air.

This is a single sided heater that sits up against an exterior wall and vents through the wall to the outside.  I can order one myself and have it delivered for about 1/3 the cost the contractor wants and the contractor won't even hook up the gas line.


We've only just used the first floor.  The upstairs is just one big room used for storage.  I like the 55,000 BTU unit because it's available with an intermittent pilot.

6 Answers

  • y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Construction and zone are what are used to determine BTU requirements.

    I'm in Ma, for 1000 square feet for averse construction. That should be right around what is needed.

  • 1 month ago

    The house was estimated to be 940 square feet

    TROLL FAIL. The one thing absolutely KNOWN is the EXACT square footage.

    Note: There is NO SUCH THING as an intermittent pilot. You either have a STANDING pilot, or an electronic ignition and NO pilot.

    That said, the VAST majority of gas furnaces available in the last decade are available with an electronic ignition.

  • 1 month ago

    you need to get an evaluation by a professional.  climate and insulation make a huge difference -- and we know zip all about either in your case.

  • 1 month ago

    A furnace in the floor/crawl space is more effective.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You'll burn your house down and you will void your insurance.  You need to hire a professional.  Period.

  • 1 month ago

    Not an expert but I'd say just the first floor, unless you open all vents. Better than overheating though.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.