Did I make a mistake talking about US history?

I mentioned the "countries" that colonized what is now the USA... so plural. One guy said, that I'm dumb and that there was only one country England that colonized the lands of the modern US. ANd that I'm talking bullsh**... Just for my self-esteem, is he right and I'm that dumb, completely losing my mind? 

And I was talking about the history. Who basically came as colonists...

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure if this is some bizarre strawman argument you're setting up to make yourself seem like you've won an argument that nobody here has seen anyone make, but obviously what is presently the United States came to include territories originally colonized by the British, the French, the Spanish, and the Russians, in that order of inclusion. The Louisiana territory was ceded to the United States from France via the Louisiana Purchase. Then the Western territories originally colonized by Spain were ceded to the United States via the Mexican-American War. Then Alaska was ceded to the United States from Russia via the Alaska Purchase.

• !

No, there were lots of countries that explored the US during the initial colonisation period. England, France and Spain were the big ones, but the dutch, swedish and russians also founded colonies. There's still a very strong french and spanish presence in the US to this day

He is wrong. Spain had parts of it as did the French. Remember the Louisiana Purchase

• 1465

I see one answer (besides this one) and no one has said anything of the sort.