Are Christians obligated to keep the Sabbath?  ?

If not, why is it called a perpetual covenant?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No, they are obligated to honor the Lord's day, Sunday.  That's the day he resurrected himself.  That's the day he kept meeting with his disciples.

Because they were to keep it until such time as the Lord made different arrangements.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In giving the commandment Jehovah said:

(Exodus 31:16, 17) 16 The Israelites must keep the Sabbath; they must observe the Sabbath during all their generations. It is a lasting covenant. 17 It is an enduring sign between me and the people of Israel, for in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and on the seventh day he rested and refreshed himself.. . .

It was given only to the Jews, and thus it was part of the Law Covenant that ceased with the death of Christ.

Since the Jews reject the saving provision of Christ, they are still under obligation to observe the Sabbath.

Since the Jews have rejected Christ, their form of worship is worthless.

(Romans 10:2-4) 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge. 3 For because of not knowing the righteousness of God but seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.

• 1 month ago

Acts 20:7, 1 Cor. 16:2 both serve to answer that.

• 1 month ago

No. The Sabbath law applied only to the people subject to the rest of the Law given through Moses. (Deuteronomy 5:2, 3; Ezekiel 20:10-12) God never required other people to observe a sabbath rest. In addition, even the Jews were “released from the Law” of Moses, including the Ten Commandments, by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. (Romans 7:6, 7; 10:4; Galatians 3:24, 25; Ephesians 2:15) Rather than adhere to the Law of Moses, Christians follow the superior law of love.—Romans 13:9, 10; Hebrews 8:13.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Rick
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That covenant is with the Children of Israel. 

• User
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.

It's not called just "a perpetual covenant"

but

rather

more specifically

Exo 31:13

“But as for you, speak to the sons of Israel, saying, ‘You shall surely observe My sabbaths; for this is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the Lord who sanctifies you.

Exo 31:16

So the sons of Israel shall observe the sabbath, to celebrate the sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant.’

etc.

In other words:

it is indeed a perpetual covenant

but

a perpetual covenant that God made between himself and the Israelites specifically.

• 1 month ago

Exodus 20:8-10 

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. [9] Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: [10] But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Exodus 31:16 KJV — Wherefore >>>the children of Israel<<< shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.

Perpetual is Hebrew `owlam meaning here a time of long duration, "especially a hidden time, the end of which is either uncertain or undefined."

Gesenius' Lexicon

It was a covenant or contract that was enforced only for "the children of Israel" and only until the advent of Christ the Messiah.

The NT Christian message is that any day and every day is the right day to rest in and worship the Lord. Jesus IS our Christian Rest.

Matthew 11:28 KJV — Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

• 1 month ago

Yes we are.  It's a good thing to do anyway.

• 1 month ago

I think the only Christians who actually keep the Sabbath are the Jehovah Witnesses.

The Sabbath is Jewish therefore it's a SATURDAY.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.