OTTO
OTTO asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

What sort of relationship do you have with your dog?

A give and take, more like a spousal relationship, or a master slave relationship in which you expect absolute obedience?

All thoughtful answers. I chose based on the most thumbs up.

Favorite Answer

We have certain rolls to play. I feed him & he goes outside to poop. I sleep on the bed at night & he gets it during the day. I throw a ball & he gets it. I have dinner at home & he gets 1/2. When there's a knock on the door, we both go see who it is. If they come inside, he leads them to the living room. It's shared responsibility.

As I write this, my two dogs are sleeping beside the couch; they are rarely far from me when I am home. They’re old-timers now, so a quick trip to the bathroom alone is possible, but go anywhere near the kitchen, and they’re shadows.

Sometimes I don’t even realize it, but I’ll reach down and stroke them; my reward is a lick on the hand and a wagging tail. A twenty-minute absence from home and our returns are greeted like the Resurrection. They share as much of our daily lives as is possible.

Our dogs are family, bringing warmth and happiness into our home. Dogs are one of life’s bonuses. https://esacare.com/3-mental-health-benefits-of-pe...

Genuinely none of the above ....More of a shepherd sheepdog relationship my dogs are an extension of me at work. When not at work  they are my best friends and almost constant companions. back in a sheepfield they become my working partners once more and its a mutual transgression

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd his dogs and flock.

Neither one apply to me & my dog.  She is not a spouse nor is she a slave, she is my pet, my alert dog, my companion, my buddy, my friend, she means a lot to me.

• Maxi

A working relationship and I expect my dogs to do as I say for theirs, my and the wider community safety otherwise they do not get off lead and I like ( and they like) to run free daily

• Goerge

A simple one of friendship and not one where the dog is a slave to my every word. He and I both know when I offer a command he is welcome to disobey, to a point. I allow him to be his own self and not a puppet to my every word. I think the measured leniency gives him a choice and the SSS(more on that later) allows me to know that when it truly matters he will obey without question but otherwise he can be an individual of his own choosing.   

C'mon, bring the ball, bring it back, c'mon. 

Ahh, c'mon.

He would either bring the ball or walk back to the tall grass and chew on for a while. 

Our postal service truck(suffice to say, she's an idiot and has no love for animals) is barreling down our street. Barreling means well exceeding the posted speed limit.

Frank...

His posture is indicative of give me a reason and I will tear her a new one. You gonna stop me?

FRANK!!! SSSSSSS

The tone of my voice and the ssssss are VERY serious and will be listened to and my dog also knows this. AHH Is a friendly but stern warning. SSS is a final word er sound that is not a command to a slave but direction to avoid a serious issue and not one that is used often.

He bites me a lot. But it's my fault since I'm the humanoid it's my fault because dogs are incapable of causing harm.

• ?

I feed them, provide for their medical care, clean up after them, pick up their poop, take them for walks,,,,,

They take naps.

A master slave one in which my dogs expect complete obedience.

• ?

Yes, I expect my dog to obey my commands, first time, same as I would with any child, as respect between dog and owner is essential,  but I would not liken it to a slave / master relationship.

Dogs NEED a leader they can respect and look up  to, not some soft weak minded owner that allows the dog to decide for itself if it should obey the owner or not.

I don`t expect to ASK my dog if he wants to come when called or sit when told, eg; I TELL him to to come when called, and to sit when told  to do so.

Weak minded owners, who allow a dog to decide for itself, usually own disobedient dogs who have no respect for their owner whatsoever. 

A well trained dog is a happy dog and knows its place in the hierarchy.

A dog that is owned on a `give & take `sort of relationship is a confused dog, as it lacks a `consistent` leader, which all dogs absolutely DO need. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 58 years.