Anonymous

Am I allowed to drop out of a medical school just simply because I got accepted into a better medical school?

For instance, if I get accepted to a US medical school while I have already started at a Caribbean medical school, can I choose to drop out of that Caribbean medical school and start off completely fresh (not as a transfer) at the US medical school?

You're allowed to drop out of medical school for any reason whatsoever, or for no reason at all. You'll lose the tuition  money you've paid, unless you drop out before the semester starts, but they can't make you stay in medical school if you don't want to be there. 

That said, the scenario you describe won't really happen. If you're not admitted to a U.S. medical school one year, you'd need to reapply for the subsequent year. You would need to indicate on your AMCAS that you are currently attending medical school, and if you do, U.S. medical schools are even less likely to accept you than they were the first time around (and you weren't admitted anywhere the first time around). 

If you really think you still have a shot at a U.S. medical school, you'd be better off deferring your admission to the Caribbean medical school for a year, if that's possible. Even better, don't apply to Caribbean medical schools until your second year of applications, and accept when you're sure you won't be admitted anywhere in the U.S. 

Meanwhile, do whatever you need to to enhance your application: more shadowing and volunteering; graduate school in biology, chemistry, public health, etc.; and hone your interview skills, if you got interviews but not offers of admission.  

yes, you probably can do that.  [they can't prevent you from dropping out, can they?]

Yes, but maybe not immediately. Depending on how far into the term you were?at the Caribbean medical school you might be able to drop all your classes. You would not be dropping out, technically.