What would you say is a reasonable amount of rent if you were looking for a decent 1 bedroom / 1 bathroom apartment?

IYO for your area for what you think is reasonable, not particularly what they are asking.  I.E. in my area they are asking $1500 and up which is more than I pay for my house mortgage, so saying I would love to see rents at around $800-$1000.

Favorite Answer

300 $ real estate is a scam

Location is the key point. Without specifying a location, no such listing would have any meaning.

In a midwest dying town, it could go for as little as a few hundred, and on Park Avenue in NYC, millions.

• F

Depends where your are. Location,location, location!

• garry

about $1,200 a month but thats in australia , and upto $ 2,000 a month will get you in a good area .

Rental prices all depend on the location. The location can refer to the State, the county, the town and even within that town.

For instance, a 2-3 bed, 2 bath rental in my area runs high - $ 1,200 up to $3,500 monthly. Where as in southwest North Carolina the same space goes for half the rental price.

So, do research by checking local ads and real estate web sites.Go to Zillow.com and tweak the search engine to your specific needs. There you can find rentals in ANY given area.

Varies place to place.  Where I am, $750 (plus utilities) is a decent price, but in some nearby cities its closer to $1250.

$200 in Mississippi,  $1750 in Los Angeles. 

It depends entirely on where you are. In some cities you can rent 1BR/1BA for under $500 a month, in others you couldn't even rent a square FOOT in an apartment for that amount. In rural areas it will be vastly different from urban areas, and cities will be different from suburbs--so there's no way to get any good answer unless you tell us where you are. 

Depends where in the world you're looking to rent; rent costs vary hugely. 

Generally look to spend, if you can, no more than 1/3 or 1/2 of your income.

Where? That in central London would be £2,500 a month and in a scruffy part of Newcastle, £350. Location adds more to the price than what it is, a flat in a desirable place is more than a house in an undesirable place.

• Matt

depends on where, apartments in NY city are a lot more expensive than apartments in Kalamazoo MI