Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is Cayenne the best all around spice to have in your cabinet other than garlic powder, salt & pepper ?

Id use fresh ingredients but I don't like my refrigerator to have more than a few things in it. I hate when there's a bunch of food in it 

I infrequently use cayenne pepper. The possibly time I use it is the point at which a formula explicitly calls for it. In the event that I need a little warmth, I will utilize new jalapenos. I use thyme in a greater amount of my cooking than anything other than salt and dark pepper. I utilize new or minced garlic rather than garlic powder more often than not

its subjective to the individual .... OPINION , NOT FACT

WORD USE  " BEST " adjective  of the most excellent  or desirable

word use   "IS"  to be  the state described exactly the nature  scope  or meaning of 

the question provides NO DATA  or survey on the topic  of  cayenne

word use "YOUR " belonging to  or associated with ANY  PERSON in general

• garry

no try mixed spice , more a universal spice , and it comes from 1 plant not a mixture of plants .

• I'd argue that chili powder and cumin are more useful.  

If I were only allowed to choose one, I'd much rather have chili powder than cayenne.   Or possibly cumin.

I don't think so.  With Cayenne you have a 1 note heat, 1 note pepper.  If you have to use a pepper for heat and flavor get a pepper blend then you can adjust other ingredients to fill out the flavor and heat profile. You can also fill that in with fresh peppers of different types. 

I rarely use cayenne pepper. The only time I use it is when a recipe specifically calls for it.  If I want a little heat, I will use fresh jalapenos.  I use thyme in more of my cooking than anything besides salt and black pepper.  I use fresh or minced garlic instead of garlic powder most of the time.

• kswck2

I use Cayenne as a Flavoring, rather than a source of heat. 

• tony

best

Basil leaves.. Whole bay leaves can be added to stews and soup to make cooking more appealing. Bay leaves contain many vitamins and anti-oxidants that slows down aging and prevents cancers. Chili powder. Cinnamon. Ground cumin is an aromatic mellow spice. It adds sweet smokiness flavor to soup and chilies.

• CB

No, I would say cumin would be the next best spice to have on hand. Cayenne doesn't have as much flavor as heat.