Is this a quick fix for incorrectly collusion repair?

My husband's car got rear-ended, so we had the collusion shop replace the entire trunk.

My husband found that a while after the collusion repair was done:

1. the bottom edge trunk hood isn't leveled (much smaller gap on the right than the left when the hood is closed).

2. the rear light on driver's side is full of condensation.

3. lot of water collected in the trunk.

I'd like to know if the collusion shop just needs to loosen up the hood and align it only, kind of like a quick fix, or does this repair will still be quite involved?????

Thanks

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Collision, not collusion...

If the repairs were under your husband’s insurance using their approved repairer, then complain to the insurer.

If it was a private arrangement or if he chose the repair shop instead of the insurer’s approved repairer then he has to pursue the matter with the repair shop.

They need to remedy the shoddy work. Ideally your husband should have looked very closely when the car was being handed back: the panel misalignments would have been just as obvious back then and he could have refused to accept the completed job. 

The corrections could be simple or it may be that the whole rear of the car needs work. A common problem is when the customer tells the body shop what needs doing instead of accepting what the body shop say. So for example, if your husband went to the body shop and just said “Replace the trunk lid” then that’s all they’d do unless it was impossible.

So remedial work may be as simple as adjusting the trunk lid fasteners. The worst case is that the whole rear of the car has distorted under impact and needs pulling back into shape: a far more major job and can be big enough if insurers are involved to declare a total loss.

Expect a bit of a fight with the repair shop. You may even have to take the car elsewhere for proper repairs and to then recover tbose costs afterwards by suing the original repair shop. To even have a hope of winning that you’d also need to pay an independent fully qualified vehicle inspector to prepare a report detailing exactly what’s faulty about the original repairs and how they should have been done.

• 1 month ago

It's hard to say whether or not this is a quick fix - the *collision* may have caused damage that prevents them from being able to properly align and seal the trunk.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

First of all, it’s called COLLISION, not collusion. Those words mean completely different things. But nobody can tell you what this repair involves without looking at it. It could be the rubber seals that need replacing, or the frame could be bent. There may be other parts that were damaged that cause the new trunk lid not to fit correctly. You didn’t provide enough information. I don’t know if you chose new or used parts. I also don’t know the extent of the original damage. 

I don’t know who paid for the repairs (you or insurance), but it sounds like you need to go back to the shop and ask them to fix it. If you asked for used parts and a cheap fix of only certain parts, you may have to pay more to get more parts replaced. If you just paid a fair market price and asked them to make it like it was before the accident, they should fix it completely and correctly. Get a second opinion if they don’t cooperate with you. If insurance paid the bill, you may have to reopen your claim and submit evidence that the car isn’t fixed correctly so you can get paid for any additional repairs. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.