Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 1 month ago

Women: opinion about women who keep maiden name?

So this is mainly a question for the women here. What is your opinion about other women who keep their maiden names after marriage? Do you support it? Are you against it?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There are so many reasons a woman might decide to keep her maiden name. At the end of the day its a decision like any other, and hers to decide.  Honestly I'm more interested in the trend where men take the wife's last name. 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Women should do whatever works for them. There are reasons for keeping a maiden name that range from not wanting to have to reestablish an existing career in a new name to just thinking your given name sounds better. This really isn't a big deal. 

• 1 month ago

I had no intention of changing my name but once I saw how hurt and disappointed my husband was about that... I took his name. It's been no problem for me. New business cards. A few days of running around through the appropriate government hoops. Not really a problem or issue at all. I was surprised it meant so much to him but it was far less an issue to me than I'd previously thought. I joined a tribe. So it is. Didn't erase my own identity. 

• 1 month ago

I didn't, but I understand why some women do.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

IMO a name is just a name, if a woman decides to keep the maiden name then great. If she changes her last name, great 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't have any issues with it, it's their name and doesn't bother me but I'm planning to take my future husband's last name.

• 1 month ago

If, at the time you get married, you intend to divorce later, when the time is right, you should keep your maiden name.  If you actually intend to live your entire life together as a single person it is much more convenient to have the same surname. Whatever that name might be.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I kept my married name, so I support it.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

What kind of advice are you seeking? Ask your question in the society and culture section.

• denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I'm not against it, but might it cause confusion with family bills, notifications or contracts?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.