Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

Can you explain this grammar rule to me?

I have good common sense when it comes to grammar, but today I was looking at some grammar rules and for something so simple it doesn't seem to make much sense.

This is my issue: the rule is singular subject goes with singular verb and plural subject goes with plural verb. I thought that it was the other way around.

Some of the examples I have come across: 

The

bowl goes

on the shelf

andShe shines.Both are singular subjects and both verbs are plural. This is very confusing. Though I'm sure the English language isn't so stupid that it blatantly contradicts itself; so I'm sure there is an error in understanding on my part.

Favorite Answer

No, the s does not make the verb plural. The s ending on English verbs agrees with a third person singular subject- he, she, it, one person's name, etc. 

This is not a contradiction. If you know another language or study a language like Spanish or French, you'll find that there are many endings on the verbs that create agreement with the subject and with the tense. English used to have those endings, but they died out over time. The only one that remains is the s ending on third person singular verbs. Yes, it's confusing that it's the same letter that we use to make nouns plural, but many letters are used many ways. Just remember that an "s"on a verb is singular and and "s" on a noun is plural. 

The bowl goes on the rack, and this is the place where I will cut you off. Since the initial segment of your sentence bodes well.

what's more, she sparkles. <<< What does that assume to mean?

I think you are alluding a bowl as a sparkling human female. Hahaha......I believe that is interesting

I might want to reword your sentence, so it bodes well.

The bowl goes on the rack, and it sparkles.

The bowl is an item. The bowl isn't alive, and it DOES NOT have a vagina, bosoms, and a bum. I supplanted the word she with it, so now you have a lucid sentence.

"What is the importance of it in English?"

"language note: It is a third individual particular pronoun. It is utilized as the subject or object of an action word, or as the object of a relational word. 1. pronoun. You use it to allude to an item, creature, or another thing that has just been referenced."

Not at all. Thanks.

Just because a word ends in "s" doesn't make it plural, especially for a verb.  Nouns are what you make plural by adding an "s."

cursive writing copying sentence diagramming practice all,you will know automatically by constant use what is which and why for

Here's the explanation:  Verbs in the first person singular (like goes and shines) end in -s.

I speak-------------------------------------------- we speak

you speak----------------------------------------- you [plural] speak

he/she/is speakS = third person SINGULAR--- they speak -- PLURAL

The verb always agrees with the subject:

The bowl goes on the shelf.

She shines.

Troll. Or are you really that dense?

Yes, there is an error of understanding on your part. Your error is  in supposing that a verb ending in -s is plural. However, it is not. Verbs ending in -s are used for He, She and It - all of which are singular pronouns.

In English, we form the plural of NOUNS by adding -s. But not verbs.

The bowl [= "it"] goes on the shelf.The boy goes to school.ButI go to school; you go to school; we go to school; they go to school.