Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

What to do if i cant afford therapy?

Is there any options for getting help when i canot afford professional therapy? 

Go onto yahoo answers.

• Ann

Your county MH/MR office should provide help for you if you cannot afford private therapy.  Also, if there is a medical school close to where you live, check and see what is available through that facility.  The Affordable Care Act mandated that psychiatric treatment should be available to all.

Are you in the US? The ACA mandates coverage for mental health treatment.  If you have health insurance, you should be liable only for a co-pay, not for the full cost of sessions.  Have you checked into that?

You may be able to find a clinic or therapist who offers therapy for sliding-scale fees.  Pastoral counseling is another option, as is group therapy. 

Start with your local Health Department.

Have you searched for any support groups? Organizations or Churches may have groups for different things. Maybe find one that is reputable and will fit your lifestyle and interests.

Let's face it. Therapy can be expensive. As a licensed marriage and family therapist myself, I admit that I sometimes wonder on my drive home from work what I could buy with the money my clients drop on just one session.

It's a tough question to ask in a vacuum, because many individual therapy sessions aren't particularly impactful in and of themselves. Therapy is a cumulative process, and we can't predict when growth will come. Most people don't weigh the benefits of therapy as a result of the ongoing process. Instead, they cling to the cost of a single session and wonder what new Lululemon pants they could have bought instead.

Do what you can to get a therapist. You might find something good if you called your local social services (211?) or googled "affordable psychotherapy." The cost of therapy can vary a lot.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/obamacare/how-obam... 

https://careforyourmind.org/what-to-do-when-you-ca...

Don't overlook self-help. Therapists often recommend this. 

I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. You're welcome to click on my name and read. This has details about self-help based on cognitive-behavioral therapy and lifestyle choices that help with depression - nutrition, basic lifestyle things like sleep, exercise, and social support, also traditional Asian methods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

• Andy C

If you live in America,  you are pretty much screwed.   What publicly funded help there is will likely be inadequate,  but any help is better than none. 

If you vote Republican, you are part of the reason why health care is not provided for the public but instead based on charity. 

If you live in America, then look in your phone book for your county's department of health.  Call then and ask where the nearest outpatient mental health clinic is.  All counties have health clinics paid for by our tax dollars and the services are often free or on a low sliding scale.