Anonymous

Is an undergraduate degree in business administration useless?

I can’t figure out what to do with one. All of the MBAs have undergraduate degrees in a subject field (chemistry, engineering, history, etc)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

A general business major, like business administration, is pretty useless. You have to specialize. Accounting, finance, supply chain management, and management information systems. Those are the business majors to focus on.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

i would hope not

• 1 month ago

Employers want proven performers in their field who have sufficient experience to attain supervisory/managerial roles, and are deemed by their employer to be prospective managerial-executive talent before admission to MBA. BBAs, those with back-to-back bachelor's + MBA (especially BBA + MBA due to duplicative content). BBA is not totally useless, just a glut on most markets. You have to look for internships or entry-level positions with smaller companies, then convince prospective employers you can actually DO something for them which is worth paying for. 

• John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

"I can’t figure out what to do with one."  Depending on the concentration you choose, you specialize in management, marketing, accounting, or finance.  The upper division coursework is much more skill specific than most other college programs.  A business major not knowing what to do with his degree is similar to a nursing or computer science major not knowing what to do.  

"All of the MBAs have undergraduate degrees in a subject field (chemistry, engineering, history, etc)"  That is not true.  In large companies, most executives come out of either the sales or production departments.  Almost all such executives obtain an MBA for purposes of advancement.  Sales people usually majored in business as undergrads.  Production is where the chemists and engineers come from.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

no, it isn't worthless.  you start as a low level grunt in some business enterprise and work you way up from there

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would hope not

• 1 month ago

No, not if you get a good internship that pays you to work full time in the summer and part time during the school year. In your junior year. When you graduate, no master what you majored in, you MIGHTT be hired full time?and get a substal raise in salary and a promotion and another raise in 18 months to 2 years. If you want to go back to school to get graduate degree, there might be substantial tuition assistance. 

• 1 month ago

That is correct. You will not be accepted into a well ranked business school to do an MBA without both relevant work experience and an undergraduate degree in an academic subject (which Business is not).  An undergraduate degree in Business will get you clerical or secretarial work.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.