Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsMedia & Journalism · 1 month ago

When do males stop being referred to as "boys"?

I was watching the news and they referred to an 18 year old as "the 18 year old boy". I always thought that 18 year olds would be referred to as men because they are adults. What age do males stop being referred to as "boys"?

Favorite Answer

You have to realize that reporters no longer just REPORT the news,   they try to form your opinions on the news.   To do that,  they use loaded words.    A guy who they want you to think is bad is said to have an arsenal of weapons.    But if they want you to think of him as a victim they will say he has a valuable gun collection.     They will call a 19 year old a teenager to get you to feel sorry for him.    Etc.    When you hear a story or read the news,  LOOK for those loaded words.   If you find them,  then take the entire story as a biased article.  

The average news person has a lower IQ than a tadpole.

• When they stop getting a ***** every time they see a girl.. 

hopefully when they grow up

--  Personally I would say when the male is around 20-21.  To older people. especially when talking about males in their family, they may refer to someone who is even over 40 as "a boy". My own grandmother referred to my father as "the boy" when he was in his 50's.

A few years ago on CNN I remember a reporter saying the 57 year old boy. so maybe it's just a way of them expressing the immaturity of specific male individuals.

You are correct. I heard that too the other day and thought it was wrong. Not much we can do except ignore it or call/email them to make a complaint. 

hopefully when they grow up