Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Why do people think they will be “conscious” after they die?

I think a lot of people think that being dead is like being alive but just “in darkness” and they will still be conscious. But everyone alive has been dead before, and that was prior to you being born. Everyone already knows what being dead feels like, it doesn’t feel like anything because you didn’t exist before you were born. Billions and billions of years had passed in the universe, perhaps infinite years if there are multiple universes that have existed since before even our own universe was formed, before you were born. And it was like it never even happened, because you weren’t conscious to experience time. Death is like falling asleep and never waking up. When you are asleep, you aren’t conscious of being asleep until you wake up and realize you just woke up from being asleep. But you won’t ever wake up again. People think they will take their memories with them in death but they won’t. You won’t even know that you died when you do die. There won’t be some change or feeling or anything. You’ll just die and have no clue what happened because you won’t exist anymore. You might feel like you are fading into unconsciousness but you’ll never wake back up to remember that you faded into unconsciousness. Your brain will be wiped. 

What’s with the insults for a random, non threatening question? What if you yourself had asked a perfectly valid question framed to insight thoughtful responses and everyone called you a phaggot and to go f yourself. 

• Lv 6

What's the purpose of life if life has no purpose?

The millions of years you mentioned are a moot point. Before there were people there was no concept of time - time is relative only to those who measure it.

Animals have no sense of time although they've been endowed with instincts that sometimes appear that they do - such as migratory animals.

Mankind is the highest life form - time is relevant to him. He also has a higher purpose on this earth than the animals. Consequently, where there is a purpose, there is an end result - a sort of "reward" for his efforts, as it were.

This suggests that when he dies, he doesn't just cease to exist with nothing to show for it.

An afterlife isn't complicated to understand. People experience a simpler version of the same thing whenever they go to sleep at night. Hours pass and they're completely unaware of the passage of time. When they awaken, it seems like only moments have passed instead of hours.

Death is the same way, except when we take that step between closing our eyes and opening them again, time will no longer have any meaning - again, time is only relative to those who measure it. You will simply exist exactly as you were "moments before". 

• garry

bit hard to tell seeing there dead , why dont you try it and tell us !!!!  troll.

So, these are questions that have been debated for hundreds - in some cases, thousands - of years, with libraries worth of books to lend to the discussion (not to mention scientific and journalistic articles, TV specials, Youtube channels, etc...). 

But to circumvent all that for a second, I guess the key question here is: how do you know?  How do you discount the possibility that the brain somehow obscures "memory" of what came before your present life?  How do you know what comes after is absolutely like what came before, aside from your own solipsistic mental ramblings?  I'd also like to note that people *can* be conscious of being asleep (and somewhat conscious/"aware" of their surroundings while asleep), and recent research indicates consciousness remains for a few minutes after brain death (not just after the pulse stops).  This doesn't necessarily suggest an afterlife, mind - it's entirely possible our scientific understanding of consciousness is flawed or somehow incomplete, and we're conflating other processes with "consciousness" incorrectly.  But it does make pretty clear that consciousness isn't as simple as, "if you're awake, you're conscious". 

I don't mean anything about this to be insulting.  I think the thought process you're going with is interesting, and it's great to see (I assume younger) people really explore the idea of what it means to exist and their relation to the world around them.  And it's a process - I think everyone, if they're honest and open-minded - will admit some things they were sure of 10 years ago were ridiculous and inconsistent.  We all evolve.  And while I think letting your mind wander and seeing where it takes you is great, when it comes to big philosophical and scientific questions, it doesn't hurt to explore the wealth of thought already available (books, academic/scientific articles, documentaries, whatever), to help contextualize your own thoughts (and even let you not waste time trying to figure out what others have already figured out pretty well).  And with some of the obvious holes in your logic (at least to present your idea as an empirical statement), I have a feeling you'll be joining the rest of us soon.  Welcome!

The one who created us will definitely bring our souls back into our bodies to question what we did in this world.

All human beings are just robots made of flesh and bones and toys of the spirits for their games. Robots act according to the programs. The same is the case with the human beings.

Life is realizing your presence in some form on this earth. Life is to live. Wherever you go and whatever you read, at last you will come to a mere conclusion that life is to live, just to live. First of all you must know what human beings are. Human beings are just robots made of flesh and bones and toys of the spirits for their games. The soft-wares for these robots are spirits or invisible elements. These robots are programmed by different people by oral talks, writings and actions too. During this process the spirits possess a human being according to the programs. Further these robots can program themselves when they wish.

A human being during his/her lifetime is living with many spirits which have joined one by one since birth. They are knowledge, skills, feelings, emotions, interests and everything. Even thoughts are not these robots' own. One after another they think and these robots either choose or reject the ideas which they transmit to their minds through brains in the form of thoughts. Brain is a media to connect the spirits to your mind. Your mind is just a computer's mind. After the destruction of a computer completely you will not get its mind. The same is the case with the human beings. A soul is nothing but an energy needed for the functionality of a body. It is not a spirit or anything else. A body's functionality is based on the auto mechanism. A human being doesn't have a spiritual body. Memories are different spirits. Spirits determine the destiny of a human being from his/her daily activities, talks and thoughts too. On death these spirits leave the body and go to different places. No one lives in any form after death.

Purely wishful thinking on their part in thinking such zx

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

Yes, eternal void is a possibility, so is reincarnation, and spiritual consequences. I am skeptical about the whole thing. Meaning, I don't know.

• Marli

Because "Death is the end of me" is something I do want to contemplate.

My belief is not founded on hard fact. I have had no "near death experiences". I believe those people who say they have left their bodies and went through a tunnel to the light. At least I believe that they are not lying  It might not have been so, but they thought it was so.

My own beliefs are based on the Christian Bible. I respect cultures who believe in other ideas of the afterlife. I don't think anyone but God is 100 per cent accurate.  I don't believe our souls lose the power to think and remember.  What is the use of having thoughts and memories for this life only? For all I know, the chicken whose meat I just ate has a soul that can think and remember.

Few of us us die in our sleep. I have watched my parents die and they were conscious that they were dying. Even for a believer, the process of dying is terrible.Actually, you are mistaken. Everyone who are now dead have been alive before, not the other way around. None of us have been dead before we were given life. Death cannot be the same as non existence, and non existence cannot be the same as death because there is left a body of a formerly sentinent being after death. Non-existance never had a body, a mind, sensation. A fertilized egg has all the stuff that makes a live body. My still born sister and an aborted fetus both existed in a body. Both died. They were not non existent.

The mind and soul are intertwined.  

We have not been "dead before."  It is appointed unto man once to die and after this, the judgement. 

Source(s): The New Testament (recommended reading)

cause they dont like to admit that they wont be conscious