Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Is it normal that I don't remember anything before age 5?

I think people remember about things in their childhood that were fun for them. Example, I recall very well playing with 2 playful dogs on the backyard lawn before age 2.  However, no matter how I try to bring up memory about the 2nd grade in school, I do not recollect anything about that school year; at age 7, but remember 1st, 3rd and all the rest. I think you should not worry about it, as everyone has forgotten some parts of their life during the first 7 or 8 years.

Pretty normal, I only have a few vague memories before that. 

For me it is about 3 years old and I don't remember MUCH until I was about five or six.  Yes, it is normal to have limited memory from that time.  People don't realize that the human brain isn't fully developed at birth.  You undergo a couple of brain "growth spurts" - one at age 5 or 6, the other just after puberty.  Before that first spurt, your brain is not fully organized and memories will be limited.

• mikey

yes it is... a lot of memories people say they have before age 5 are very often false memories. Stories and events that have been perpetuated by parents and older siblings. Even after that age large parts of memory can be false. Every time your brain revisits something, it changes it slightly and then it becomes a new version of the memory. Memory is actually very unreliable. 

Childhood amnesia is quite common prior the ages 5-II zxj

. . . . . . . . . .

🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳🔳

• ?

To me, its odd, because I have some memories of being in the cradle.  I'm wondering if you had an accident, or some other traumatic event that caused your problem.  You may want to ask your folks if anything bad happened to you when you were very young.  

It's normal. Memories start at around 5 or 6 years old for most people.

it might be normal

Ages 3-5 is normal for most people. First memories being recalled between ages 5-7 is not abnormal, but if you can't recall anything prior to age 7 then there might be something else going on. 

• Jill

Yes.