Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

Who came up with the idea that God lives in the sky? Why do people call Him "The Man Upstairs"?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Alex
    Lv 4
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The idea that God lives in the sky is not new. 

When anthropomorphizing God, men usually envision God living in the clouds. This type of imagery is common even in Scripture. Jacob saw a staircase leading up to Heaven with angels going up and down. Elijah was taken up to God in a whirlwind. Even Jesus ascended to Heaven in the clouds. 

Because of this, many people have given names to God in relationship to this concept. Some names and titles include "Heavenly Father," "The Man upstairs," even the derogatory slur used by some atheists "Sky Daddy."

However, we know that Heaven is not in the physical universe, but is instead exists beyond what we are able to perceive. No matter how far into space we go, we can never get to Heaven that way, because Heaven is a Spiritual place.

I hope this explains why people view God like that. 

Please inform me where I have erred.

• 1 month ago

It's probably because every time a prophet or Jesus went up to Heaven, they were observed to go "up".

• 1 month ago

Some superstitious person a long long time ago.

• Mark
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

From back in the days when the earth was still flat and the sun revolved around the earth since it was the center of the universe. Kind of makes you wonder how "Jesus ascended into heaven".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The ancient Hebrews who created him.

• Rod
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Probably atheists and religious folk who either don't know where God is or don't care came up with the idea he lives in the sky.

(Matt 6:9) Our Father which art in heaven.

Who hasn't heard of this scripture --- it doesn't say in the sky which is part of the earth right?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Perhaps that's a holdover from sun worship.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.