Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Anxiety when eating in front of people ?

Hey guys! I’m wondering if anyone else experiences anxiety in this setting. I get IMMENSE anxiety when I’m eating at the dinner table or at restaurants. I don’t know why this happens. It’s so weird and random. It’s so debilitating and it makes me loose my appetite and feel like I’m gonna pass out. :/ has anyone else with an anxiety disorder have this happen? 

• larry1

I used to when I was young, at least in restaurants. I felt everyone was 'looking at me' i.e. judging me. Over time I listened to my mother who was always saying 'don't be ridiculous no one is looking at you, they couldn't care less, don't even notice you, they're interested in each other and their food, not you.'

So, I started looking at other people in restaurants and she was right no one was paying me any attention me, so I started relaxing and enjoying my food and my table.

• Andy C

Most people during puberty experience anxiety during eating of food around others.   Most people learn how to deal with it.   Since you cannot deal with yours, you should talk to your doctor about it and see what kind of therapy you would benefit most, from.