How do I interview someone who is clearly overqualified for the job?

We are hiring for a software engineer position and someone applied for the job who has over 30 years of experience for a mid level job. They had an interview with HR and are okay with the salary and are moving onto the more technical interview. Apparently they are near retirement and just want a lower stress job for a year or two before they retire. How do I make the job seem suitable for him in the impressions I give for the job description and possible responsibilities considering he is a lot more experienced than what the job entails doing and I fear he might be bored. I don’t want to discourage him from joining the team by making it seem like the job is beneath his skill level, because we would love to have him on the team. But I don’t want to lie to him either by saying it’s going to be a really technically advanced position to try to lure him into a false promise so he’ll be more excited to join 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Come clean with him. It seems like he needs something underneath his expertise level and it tends to be a touch of exhausting, only not as exhausting as resigning, remaining at home, and doing nothing the entire day

• 1 month ago

It is not HRs job to make a job "more appealing' to an over-qualified candidate. He knows what he's applying for, certainly, and has no issue with it. But consider that you are hiring someone who does not intend to stay--and don't worry about how he 'views' the qualifications. It's HIS job to appeal to YOU--not the other way around. 

Source(s): Worked in HR for 31 years.
  • 1 month ago

Huh? This candidate is clearly aware that he is overqualified for the job.  He WANTS TO BE BORED.  He's looking for a job that offers a salarying and benefits where he can basically mail it in every day until he retires.  No stress.  It is not your role to sell this guy on the job or worry about whether or not he likes it.  IF you think he's a good fit for your organization, offer him the job. If you don't, then don't.

• 1 month ago

"You're Hired...when do you want to start?"

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Carrie
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

I would conduct your interview as normal and let them know, that you think they are above and beyond qualified, but that since you know the situation, you think they would make a good fit and would love to get some input on what he recommends for future employees.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

HE is happy with the job description which is why he applied.. He knows from the job description what he will be doing. After 30 years he wants an easier life, just plodding along doing a good job until he retires.

What's the problem.? He sounds the perfect candidate.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

be open with your concerns and see what he says.

• 1 month ago

Tell him the truth.  It sounds like he wants something below his skill level and it can be a little boring, just not as boring as retiring, staying home, and doing nothing all day.

• 1 month ago

Are you interested in hiring someone for a year or two?

You don't make the job seem suitable for "him".  You describe the job like you would for every other candidate.  Then you evaluate if you believe if he is actually being truthful and would be a good fit for your role.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just be truthful.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.