If you were asked to make a 25 track compilation album between Black Sabbath and Judas Priest what songs would you include?

• Andrew

This is a great question, but in all fairness, I don't think it would be possible to create a single compilation consisting of only 25 tracks when Black Sabbath and Judas Priest combined have been making music for over 90 years. Think about that. Nine decades. And over the course of that time they've released over 35 albums between them. That's a lot of time, and that's a lot of music. 

When a band has been in existence for nearly 50 years, it's impossible to boil that band's essence down to a handful of songs. I suppose that we could generally divide the careers of both bands into a simple three periods - the early years, the middle era, and the later stage. To try and narrow it down to a measly dozen songs for each of these bands would be completely impossible. Even if we were to select one song from every album, we'd have to leave out almost half of the band's discography. 

The other factor is that to do this right, a person would have to be able to look past his or her own personal preferences and come up with a list that really and truly sums up just what the band is all about in a nutshell, touching on every important era of the band's career, to succeed in coming up with a list of 25 songs that stand as the definitive 25 songs the band ever recorded. 

I have been listening to Black Sabbath and Judas Priest for decades. I have seen both live numerous times. I own practically every album they've ever recorded and listened to them all many, many times. And I can play a fair portion of each band's songs too. 

I think the real key to answering this question is finding the balance between going too heavy on the band's most beloved live staples and showing some of the lesser known gems a bit of love. That's not an easy thing to do - especially with these two bands in particular because essentially we could just list every other song on "Paranoid", "Master of Reality", "Defenders of the Faith" and "Screaming For Vengeance." But I'm going to try to be a bit more objective with my selections. 

Black Sabbath:

"Age of Reason"

"Anno Mundi"

"Black Sabbath"

"Cross of Thorns"

"Danger Zone"

"Devil and Daughter"

"Dirty Women"

"Fairies Wear Boots"

"Children of the Sea"

"Into the Void"

"Iron Main"

"Lost Forever" 

"A National Acrobat"

"N.I.B" 

"Planet Caravan"

"Shaking Off the Chains" 

"Shock Wave"

"Supernaut"

"Symptom of the Universe"

"Time Machine"

"Trashed"

"Turn Up the Night"

"Under the Sun"

"War Pigs"

"The Writ"

Judas Priest:

"Beyond the Realms of Death"

"Blood Red Skies" 

"Breaking the Law"

"Cathedral Spires"

"Deal With the Devil"

"Desert Plains"

"Dissident Aggressor" 

"Dreamer Deceiver" 

"Freewheel Burning" 

"Grinder"

"Hell Bent For Leather"

"Last Rose of Summer"

"Lightning Strike" 

"Machine Man"

"Night Crawler" 

"Nostradamus" 

"Painkiller"

"The Ripper" 

"Rocka Rolla"

"Screaming For Vengeance"

"The Sentinel"

"Sword of Damocles" 

"Victim of Changes" 

"Wild Nights, Hot and Crazy Days" 

"You've Got Another Thing Comin"