Anonymous

Advice for a 21 moving out?

My parents want me to move out within the year. I'm 21 and in college. I'm thinking about going to the college dorms, but I don't want to have a curfew. Also, they don't allow pets. I'm also considering a house for rent that's 5 minutes away from my college, but I'm worried about my cats being in danger and me getting robbed. It's around 550$ a month.

I'm a little messed up right now, so sorry for the grammar mistakes if any, but any advice is appreciated. 

Btw my college is in Valdosta Ga so it's not that expensive, but a little?

Yes I'm a little worried about it being robbed bc I Iived in a crappy house when I was young. And we were robbed 4 times in the 14 years I was there. And the doors of this house look like they'll brake if you yank them hard enough. But they're the only of two places that are under $600 and allow cats.

Cooking is the primary thing that rings a bell, you'll have some horrendous suppers yet will consummate your plans as you go and may even wind up a couple of great ones.

Figure out how to spending plan and keep your family funds, ensure there is consistently a cushion of cash in your ledger to fall into when something unforeseen occurs. That took me some time to learn in the wake of going out. What happens when you need to call an electrical expert or handyman? You should have some crisis cash for those circumstances.

Learn fundamental cleaning errands and do them regularly, I don't think there is a more awful inclination than returning home to a pig pen. A bit of tidying and cleaning goes far.

Figure out how to do clothing and what all the amusing images on garments labels mean. I demolished many garments before I chose to google the images.

Furthermore, in particular, don't transform your home into your companions party focal/inn. That is a typical misstep, and when your place is the spot everybody goes to party you won't have a clean agreeable home for yourself.

Best of luck!

Dorms at most schools don't have curfews, not in this time. They might have quiet hours so that people can sleep and study, but that's not the same as a curfew. I think your real issue is that you don't want to give up your cats. I get that, but sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the sake of the greater good. If you want to move into an off-campus apartment, it's a pretty simple thing to ask the landlord to reinforce the existing locks or put new ones in, so that you'll be safe.

• ?

I agree with someone below always stack up your bank account in my opinion for an individual a one person never let the bank account go below 10k in case of an emergency you don’t depend on anyone to pull yourself out of the situation! You got this beast!

I would invest in some ramen noodles.

Valdosta police will tell you about the crime rate in the proposed neighborhood.  The cats won't go to the dorms, so forget that.  If you can afford it, and have transportation [or the 5 minutes was walking time] the house seems perfect.  -- grampa   [sounds ideal for my granddaughter except that she doesn't live in Georgia and really, really likes big cities.]

I don't know of any dorms that have curfews anymore. Are you sure about that? I really don't understand people who give up plans or build their lives around their pets. You do know that pets don't live that long, right? Anyway, what are you going to have that could be robbed? Take out renter's insurance, take your laptop with you or hide it when you leave the house. 

Many apartments prohibit pets, and those which do allow them often require pet deposit (in addition to regular security deposit) and/or additional monthly charge per pet.

As for your security, it's up to you to be smart, proactive, and protect yourself. It's not just about "the neighborhood," but about your having & USING proper locks & other security devices, being careful about roommates & visitors to your apartment, etc.

• OTTO

1. Consider leaving your cats with your parents if they are okay with that, and if you trust them. 2. Your choices of safe places to live are limited. Unless you can find a living space that feels safe, stick with the dorms. Not sure why a curfew would be an issue. It keeps the campus safe. 

• Rick B

Why would you be worried about your cats being in danger or you getting robbed????  The house does not have doors?  Locks???  

I would suggest you rent an apartment or house with two roommates.

Make sure you have at least 3 month's of expenses saved up in an emergency fund.