Does having too few deer on your property mean that the deer population is in decline? ?

My parents have too few deer on their property but are not interested in hunting, only in managing the population. 

But does having too few deer mean that the population in their area is in decline? 

My parents have 46 acres for those who want to know how big the property is

It might just mean that the deer numbers are down on their property. The deer population may be fine and seeing only three deer may be the tip of the iceberg.

• Mr.357
    Favorite Answer

What is your definition of too few?  Unless you get a disease in the area or have high hunting pressure the deer numbers won't decline unless the habitat fails to provide them with what they need.  For some reason, I had very few deer on my property this year.  They pretty much disappeared in August.  Last year, the numbers were great.  Last year we went about a mile from my place to shoot does.  When we shot, there must have been 50 deer running through the trees.  We went there this year to kill does and saw many deer.  We went back the other night to high hunt coyotes and there must have been about 50 deer.  So, just because the deer numbers are down on one property does not mean that the deer numbers are declining in an area.

How big your property? You do realize nature does not end at the property line? Try looking

• Quinn

It means your parents are doing a poor job managing the deer on their property.

• BBean

No. I live in a county where 1000 acre plots are becoming rare and 500 acre plots are few but most under 100 acres will support deer for a while. A deer`s world can be fairly large and cover a lot of territory. So

what that means is deer move in and out of an area for temporary stays and maybe leave and back again for a while depending on time of year and food supply. They do pick a place of safety when having their young. I have seen more deer on my place this year than last year. It is not that long ago this month deer season ended so in theory hunters in surrounding counties may have driven them here since I do not hunt deer, nor allow to hunt deer on my place because of cattle population. Bottom line is that is there is no reason to believe the deer population is on the decline or rise because you don`t see as many one year as last or vise versa.