What is the all around best city in america? ?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no overall best city. Why? Because the criteria that makes a place "great" varies from one person to the next making it impossible to devise a system where any single city could be determined to be the definitive "best." 

Are smaller cities better than larger ones? Are cities that experience a true four season climate better than cities with milder weather? What's better - the coast or the mountains? Is diversity good or bad? Would a city boasting even percentages of whites, blacks, Hispanics, and Asians be better than one that's primarily populated by people of a single ethnic background? Are family oriented cities better than those with a lot of retirees or young people? Would a city that's affordable make the short list? If it's too expensive it might be nice to visit, but not to live, and if it's too cheap, then it might boast a low cost of living, but the quality of life would likely suffer for it. What are the top priorities? Do we want a place with culture? A good job market? A place with a low crime rate? Nightlife? Proximity to nature and nice scenery? 

How could anybody begin to compare each and every city in America to determine a winner? Sure, we can pit New York against Los Angeles or Chicago against Houston, but is it really possible to weigh the merits of Boston to those of Seattle? They're completely different. I'd personally take Portland, ME over Portland, OR any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 

Generally speaking, the most dangerous and economically depressed cities are located in the Midwest and in the South - Detroit, MI and Gary, IN are about as bad as it gets, but St. Louis, MO and Memphis, TN are no picnic either. Santa Fe is nice - if you make $500,000 a year. Same with Charleston, SC. Phoenix has to be one of the worst places to live, but the population increases every year. Everyone thinks Hawaii must be paradise, but Honolulu is just another city with its own problems. 

I wouldn't want to live in any of the biggest cities in America, at least not full-time. But if you were to give me a brick row-house in Center City, Philadelphia or a nice Queen Anne with a view of the harbour in San Francisco, I'd certainly get some use out of them. 

Visiting a place and living there are two very, very different things. The United States has some of the most beautiful, exciting, vibrant cities in the world, but it's one thing to spend a weekend there and quite another to become a full-time resident. Most American cities went to pot in the 70s and 80s and few have recovered. I'd much rather live within modest driving distance of a big city than to live in one. There are small towns 30 minutes outside of Detroit that are gorgeous. The same is true when you get 30 minutes from Camden, NJ or Cincinnati, OH, all of which are holes. 

City living in the USA is only for the filthy rich or people whose priorities don't take things like being family friendly (good schools, safe, decent property sizes and a multitude of parks) into consideration. 

• 1 month ago

San Diego is my favorite.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.