Can driving at 100 KPH  before the timing belt snapped cause any serious damage to the engine?

I replaced a radiator in this Holden Viva/ Daewoo Lacetti and going to replace the timing belt, but is there a chance something else could have been broken? I also noticed the radiator I bought had the connectors for the 2 radiator lines, but no way for the fluid to go inside the radiator. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The car speed and the engine speed don't much matter when a timing belt breaks.

If the engine is of the "non-interference" type, then just install a new timing belt (and sprockets if worn badly) and the engine is the same as it was.

If the engine is of the "interference" type, then guaranteed damage occurs.  Pistons hit open valves and bend them.  Pistons can cock in the cylinders, splitting the cylinders.  Maybe valve guides are injured.  Maybe pistons are injured.  Maybe connecting rods are bent or broken.  The engine block can be injured.  The cylinder head can be injured. 

The radiator has nothing to do with the timing belt.

• arther
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

I've told you before about buying cheap piecesofshit, and you've done it again brought some other piece of rubbish that should be at the tip. Its not worth fixing. sell it as scrap metal.

• 1 month ago

The radiator has nothing to do with the timing belt. The belt gradually wore out over the total miles driven, not the last mile at 60MPH. Running the engine at any speed when the timing belt breaks in an interference engine will cause top end damage and possibly also damage pistons, depending on valve lift. Not all the valves were open during this catastrophe, since the camshaft stopped rotating. The cylinder head will have to be removed to see to damage and repair it, if repair is practical.

• 1 month ago

Stop trying to play mechanic. You bought a radiator for a manual transmission vehicle rather then an automatic that has the ATF cooler lines go into the radiator ATF cooler. You also need a new motor. With interference motors when the timing belt jumps time or breaks the valves hit the pistons even at low rpms. driving at the speed you were at not only did the valves get bent but you likely ruined the pistons and bent connecting rods. You need a good used motor.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have whats called an interference engine where the valves enter the combustion chamber then your engine is wrecked and a reconditioned engine is necessary. 

I think you will find that's the case with your car so you might consider scrapping it because it's not worth very much.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_engin...

• 1 month ago

You fill it using the auxiliary tank. Could what be broken to cause what???????????

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Interference or non interference motor? Figure out which one yours is.

That's all I have for you on this one.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.