What is the average life of a Trane air conditioner?

• elhigh

If your HVAC kicks the bucket at ten years, you got robbed or else you did something wrong.

Industry standard assumption on any new HVAC is that it will last 12 - 15 years.  With a bit of maintenance from time to time you can usually get more than that; my own HVAC was 33 years old when it finally died.  I'm a handyman and HVAC tech and was able to give it some needed upkeep.

Clean the coils out at least once a year and your HVAC should go well beyond the 12 years minimum with no trouble.

given that forced air units so often go blooey at ten to 15 years,,and,,my forced air installed in 1991,is on the third stack of the main heating unit,I tossed the outside  rusted  condenser in the trash taped the power line and cooling tubes,,using a 50 year old window unit for the few hot days in july and august,it is  a GE,still in the window secured with slats I cut to  seal at the storm and AC edges,duct tape for sealage,it works well name anoyones forced air unit that lasted 60 years thats why

10-15 years is average.

• Ann

I have a Trane heat pump  that was installed in 2007, and it's working very well.  It had a small leak a couple of years ago, but that was repaired.  I have it checked twice a year and serviced.  It cost around $10,000.  A comparable one at today's prices would be $20,000.  I was told it will need to be replaced in about six or seven years.

@oil field -- you have to READ the warranty carefully.  Many of the current a/c units have ONLY the compressor maker's warranty on that vital part [the one most likely to die].  This isn't the name on the unit -- and many of those compressor warranties are only two years.  [I think it is five years on the high end, dual speed models but am not sure.]  Of course, the warranty is void if you fail to service it regularly ...

• Droopy

It varys some 20 or more years some of the early 2000 models where crap.  Who knows now they've changed there compressor manufacturers an thats has alot to do with life span.

• ?

Installation and when the equipment was manufactured play more of a role in this than anything else. Used to be 20 or 30 years, now it is down to something like 15 as an average. My piece of crap was installed in 1983. Still going strong.

12.7635 years.........

It depends on the location and the SEER rating. If you live in a coastal region and have a super high SEER rating then it can be as little at 10 years. In any case you can only get a 10 years parts and labor guarantee so that can tell you something.

.

Typically the basic warranty is for only 5 years. The comment about a 10 year warranty is that they are available at a cost but you aren't going to get one for more than that for the manufacturer or contractor.

20 years             .