Will child support take your tax return if you have to file a tax credit for the second stimulus?

I owe back child support. My. 2nd stimulus got caught up and sent to another account bc of how fast they sent them out, or some crap. So I have to file the tax credit. But I owe 2000+. Will they take my stimulus check along with my tax return?

IRS always keeps your tax return.

• Judy

stimulus payments are taken for child support, and are sent to th person you owe support to, not to you.  And you won't get it for the rcovry credit even if you file a return showing it.

Yes, they will take what you owe, or your entire refund, whichever is less.  

If your tax refund is offset to pay overdue child support they will take your entire refund up to the amount you owe. They don't separate it into two portions and send you the stimulus money while you're still in debt for unpaid child support.

If you owe past due child support. And have not agreed to a payment plan. yes they will take your income tax and stimulus to pay your back child support. If there's anything left they will either apply it to current child support or send it to you

A tax return is something you file, not something you get.

Back child support would keep you from getting a refund but not the stimulus. You should get the stimulus if not, go to the IRS website and look for a "where is my stimulus" or something like that.

A tax return is what YOU send the IRS. 

If you don't want your tax *REFUND* taken, make sure you don't overpay your taxes and then there won't be a refund to take.

Your stimulus tax credit isn't going to be a separate payment.   It's simply a tax credit that will reduce your tax bill.    If that results in an overpayment (refund), yes, they can take it.

Or better yet, pay the child support you owe before you file your tax return.   Your tax return isn't due until April 15, and if you request an extension, it's not due until October 15.  Surely you can get your child support paid up by April 15 or October 15.

But no, you aren't getting any money back from the IRS as long as you owe back child support.