? asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 month ago

Why is my new pc slow?

I bought an acer laptop with 900 gb storage and 4gm ram. When I started it, it couldn't execute one thing without taking like more than 10 seconds to do so, especially the internet but broadband is good. I've had this for days and this is without downloading any software like steam, spotify or Google. Its a windows 10, new looking pc from retail store. I stopped all startup apps, deleted any unused files and downloaded pc speed improvers so I have tried. I am going to reset it as windows tells me if the pc is running poorly then resetting is a helpful option. Is that a wise choice or not or something else?

It's super slow and laggy is what I am saying. 4gb ram* 

I see, I've reset my pc and changed browser and it's been working better or so I think. Should I buy an 8gb ram? I wanted to play games which I didn't realize required 8gb and more ram. Stupid not knowing before buying a new pc.

Favorite Answer

4 GM or Ram?  I suspect you mean 4 GB of RAM.

That is an easy one.  For the current release of Windows 10 (anything after update 1903) you have to have 8 GB of RAM for it to run decently.

RAM memory is cheap.  For under $30 you should be able to upgrade the RAM to 8 GB abd see a huge improvement in performance.

Probably bunged up with a load of rubbish that you should have got rid of long ago. There is a limit to how much storage a computer has for all the rubbish we keepyou know.

1. The CPU, RAM, and hard drive are the speed deciding factors. If you don't have an SSD hard drive, it goes slow. If you only have 4GB of RAM trying to run Windows 10, slow, if it's all on one stick and not 2, so RAM is running in single channel and not dual channel, slow.

And finally the CPU could be a brand new CPU, but what kind? They have brand new CPU's that need an SSD and 8 GB of Dual Channel DDR4 RAM. You may have that situation.That and antivirus, all the stuff installed and running, are slowing is down.

So many factors.

Source(s): Building computers for 20 years.

You always get what you pay for! You need to find out how much memory your laptop can address and what and how many SODIMMs are on board!. If it can support 8gb and you have 1 - 4gb SODIMM add another 4 GB SODIMM or if there are 2  2gb SODIMMs remove the DIMMs and add 2 - 4gb DIMMs!

One of the most common reasons for a slow computer is programs running in the background. Remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer boots.

A moderate PC is frequently brought about by an excessive number of projects running at the same time, taking up preparing force and lessening the PC's exhibition. A few projects will keep running in the foundation even after you have shut them or will begin consequently when you boot up your PC.

• garry

you havent told use the software you had put i it , a new virus scanner would slow it down same as office could slow it down originally you where running windows with any extra software . its doesnt matter anyway , for windows to work smoothly you need 8 gig or more .  the minimum amount will get it running but more memory smooths out the workload .even a hard drive slows down you system , change it over to ssd .

the 4gb RAM is your problem...

• John

I'm guessing you bought a cheap computer and got what you paid for. Sorry.....

1. Make sure all updates are completed and installed.   

2. Do a memory test for your rams and hard drive test too Only if #1 does not solve the problems.

3. Make sure it is new!