Had a very successful interview, can I ask for more money?

Hi,

Today I had a really successful interview for a new role. The role is only offering 3k more than my current role however I am taking on more such as managing a team and having to drive more. 

The role is offering £33k and it did say in the job ad 'up to £33k' so I understand that if they do offer a position, they may not even offer at the higher end. If they do offer at the higher end, would it be realistic and OK to ask for £2k more so I am taking £35pa?

• Judy

You can ask.  They can say yes or no, or withdraw the original offer and move on to someone else.

You CAN, but that doesn't mean you should.  The salary range is pretty clear. If you ask for more than that, you're not likely to get the job.  It would have been better for you to make your salary requirements clear at the time of the interview.

Don’t ask = don’t get.

But in this case if you’re offered the job you have to bear in mind that over 20 million Americans have lost their jobs during the current pandemic. 

That means there were likely many applicants for that job, some of whom may have been almost as good as you hope you have appeared to the employer. So the employer might just think, “Sod it! The next best candidate was nearly as good but would accept $2k less”.

You already knew what the salary ceiling was before applying so it could backfire to ask for even more. You’ll definitely have to give very persuasive arguments to justify the increase, and the reasons you mentioned in your question are not remotely any justification. 

If you get the job, let your work do the persuading. Show them in your first few months that you have made a real difference in excess of what they’re paying you and that you’ll do even better if suitably rewarded.

In short, to justify an extra $2k of “on costs” for the employer, you’ll have to show that you’re saving them far more than $2k by being more productive than the employer could have expected.

I don’t mean to “piss on your chips” as we say in the UK, but it’s the interviews which I thought had gone superbly which I usually failed, and the ones where I came out sweating, nervous and full of doubt which I more often passed. So don’t count your chickens just yet.

Good luck.

Always negotiate.  You don't have to get into details with them.  Just tell them that it's lower than you were expecting for the role and ask them if they are able to increase that to 36k (knowing they may counter with a little less.)  It is very common to negotiate salary and in many position almost expected.

You can ask for anything. They can say no too.

I mean I feel like 3k more is already a lot . I would just make sure I have the job first . Good interview doesn’t always mean you got the job. Good luck though! Maybe if you do get it after a couple months , then you could discuss a better pay on top of the raise you already get after a while